Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I was under my 2002, cleaning up my rust, in order to prep for a nice coating of POR-15, I saw that my oil pan had a few "rust zits" that I proceeded to remove... Shouldn't have done that. My screwdriver ended up going straight through the rusted metal and motor oil started two stream out. :facepalm:

This just extended my repair/refresh schedule by about two weeks. How difficult is it to replace, AND do I need to take off the exhaust, or could I separate the transmission, and slide it in that way?

-Jim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a shot of the offending hole tonight. I was thinking of tack welding it, but I think the right thing to do is replace the pan.

Any words of wisdom from someone that's done this?

-Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you google "Jeep TJ oil pan replacement" you'll find a lot of good information.
I just went through this as I had the same issue. My pan had rotted through completely and the heads of the bolts holding it on were rotted.
I ordered a Mopar pan as I've read the quality seems to be best. If I remember correctly, I paid roughly $200 online and had to buy the gasket separately. I put about 6 layers of paint on outside of the new pan in order to avoid having the same rust issue.
Personally, I disconnected the exhaust at the header and at the cat back portion and removed the down pipe completely just so I didn't have to fight with it. Some people say you have to remove the starter as well, but I left it in.
I used rtv on both sides of the gasket to ensure a good seal. There's a certain type you're supposed to use but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.
I hope this helps. You'll find more detailed information if you google it. Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you google "Jeep TJ oil pan replacement" you'll find a lot of good information.
I just went through this as I had the same issue. My pan had rotted through completely and the heads of the bolts holding it on were rotted...
I used rtv on both sides of the gasket to ensure a good seal. There's a certain type you're supposed to use but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.
I hope this helps. You'll find more detailed information if you google it. Good luck.
Grey rtv I beleive
Thanks for the insight guys. I am just a little over whelmed, when I see all the stuff I need/want to fix. The oil pan has just moved to the top of the list!!!

As I was under her tonight, I was able to loosen every nut/bolt on the pan, except for the two closest to the bell housing. It looks like there is a rubber cover or something, I'll have to research more.

I also cleaned up around the exhaust connections, and liberally applied penetrating oil on all the bolts.

I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.

-Jim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I was under the Jeep for two nights, wrestling with the four collector/manifold bolts, and I finally got them off!!!

It was very easy to then drop the oil pan. I haven't received my new pan and gasket yet, so I reinstalled the old pan to keep clean and protected from the elements.

I have a couple questions.

1.) Are there replacement bolts & the special nut holder for the manifold/collector?

2.) What is the reason for the different bolts on the oil pan? (regular ones, deep socket ones, and two different sizes too)

-Jim

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need help with finding any information about the replacement bolt / nut that holds the collector onto the exhaust manifold.

-Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
G-LOVE said:
I need help with finding any information about the replacement bolt / nut that holds the collector onto the exhaust manifold.

-Thanks,

Jim
I just used what I had laying around my garage. Just a thru-bolt with washers on both ends with a lock washer on the nut side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just used what I had laying around my garage. Just a thru-bolt with washers on both ends with a lock washer on the nut side.
I was thinking of doing this, and using stainless steel hardware, but, since I'm doing this from under the Jeep, I don't think I can get wrenches in there to hold the nut.

This is what I took off, and am looking to replace but can't find. :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
G-LOVE said:
I was thinking of doing this, and using stainless steel hardware, but, since I'm doing this from under the Jeep, I don't think I can get wrenches in there to hold the nut.

This is what I took off, and am looking to replace but can't find. :banghead:
If I remember correctly, I removed the left front wheel and was able to get in there through the fender well with a wrench. Trouble is, I installed aftermarket fenders before the oil pan so it might not work the same for you.
You may also be able to get under the intake manifold from the top with a wrench. Just have someone hold it while you tighten it up from below.
I don't know where you would find those parts you're looking for other than from a dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts