Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a few JK wranglers here in the Caribbean. The salt air and salty wet bathing suits from guests do a lot to my entire interior. One issue I’m battling is the seatbelts.
Now I’ve taken apart all the seatbelts and have learned so much, however I’m wondering if there’s a place that anyone knows of that I can send these belts off to to get rebuilt?

Incase anyone has issues with seatbelts I can share some light.
first there is the metal ball that you can read about in any thread and can be the first thing you check to make sure you don’t have mud or debris in there that the ball is sitting on which would raise the plastic “stopper”

now if you take that plastic cover off to access the metal ball chances are you need to reset the gears by spinning the hex. If you look through the window you will notice a blue half circle along the outer edge that moves as you spin the hex from inside (I did this with a small screwdriver) . On the side where you’re spinning the hex you’ll notice an exposed black pin. As you move the hex you want to position the blue half circle that’s seen through the window to end where the black spring loaded pin is. That will allow the seat belt to spin freely without getting stuck as you extract the belt to fasten.

Now if your belt is jammed and both of those are squared away there is a third area that jams belts as you pull slack. If you can unwind your belt all the way out so you can see the metal core that the belt wraps around you’ll notice metal slotted tabs on the sidethat move outward and jam into slotted teeth in on the frame of the seatbelt housing. In my case these have been corroded and sticky and do not like to move freely to lay back down. I’ve taken some penetrant lubricant and a pick and scraped corrosion off and moved these back and forth, however they are sticky, but have gotten me through the days to where I am now....trying to find somewhere I can send these to rebuild

Hopefully this helps someone else chasing belt issues, but if anyone knows where I can find good replacements or a place to send mine off for refurbish please drop a comment . Thanks !

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm not sure you will find anyone to rebuild late model seat belts. There are companies that specialize in antique / classic car seatbelts, but newer seatbelts are just too complicated and (IMO) not worth trying to rebuild.

The good thing is that the seatbelts should be readily available, you just need to find someone who will ship them you you.

Example, I looked up seatbelts for a 2014 JK at my local dealer and came up with:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve actually found some options in case anyone is ever interested.
You can source seatbelts from some sites such as lkq.com and car-parts.com

also a company named safetyrestore.com can rebuild belts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
also a company named safetyrestore.com can rebuild belts
I just checked out their web site - pretty cool! I'll have to remember them.

Ii sounds like their 'rebuild' is more for seatbelts that are locked or blown. Let us know if they are able to repair your rusted belts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.