Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the JKU world. I had a TJ but ended up buying a RC 2.5" lift and grew to hate it. So, I want to do this one right and I've been doing my research lately. I have heard great things about RK and Teraflex, they're just so dang expensive. Anyways, I was looking around and stumbled on Rusty's. I've been eyeing their 3.25" kit. Link to kit:

Rusty's JK Wrangler 3.25" Basic Kit - JK Wrangler & Rubicon ('07+) - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension

So.......... any thoughts? I'm looking to fit 35s on it and NOT go rock crawling. I'm only going to take this thing on hunting trails (washed out) and logging roads.

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
So, I'm new to the JKU world. I had a TJ but ended up buying a RC 2.5" lift and grew to hate it. So, I want to do this one right and I've been doing my research lately. I have heard great things about RK and Teraflex, they're just so dang expensive. Anyways, I was looking around and stumbled on Rusty's. I've been eyeing their 3.25" kit. Link to kit:

Rusty's JK Wrangler 3.25" Basic Kit - JK Wrangler & Rubicon ('07+) - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension

So.......... any thoughts? I'm looking to fit 35s on it and NOT go rock crawling. I'm only going to take this thing on hunting trails (washed out) and logging roads.
Basic is too basic in my opinion. Nothing really negative about the Rusty's stuff...

You'll need some form of caster correction like drop brackets and bump stops for sure. You can get away with just the adjustable rear track bar, but a bracket for roll center correction would be better. And if you have a '12 or newer, you'll need exhaust spacers. So that's another $275 or so...

For that $$ you can get the TF kit from AOR with TF front control arms and the RS5000X Rancho shocks which I'm confident are better than the ones in the Rusty's kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basic is too basic in my opinion. Nothing really negative about the Rusty's stuff...

You'll need some form of caster correction like drop brackets and bump stops for sure. You can get away with just the adjustable rear track bar, but a bracket for roll center correction would be better. And if you have a '12 or newer, you'll need exhaust spacers. So that's another $275 or so...

For that $$ you can get the TF kit from AOR with TF front control arms and the RS5000X Rancho shocks which I'm confident are better than the ones in the Rusty's kit.
I actually did see the 3" TF kit on his site and with his discount it's a pretty sweet deal. I couldn't find the 5k series shocks though. Are there any advantages to the 5k over say the 7k or 9k series?

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
I actually did see the 3" TF kit on his site and with his discount it's a pretty sweet deal. I couldn't find the 5k series shocks though. Are there any advantages to the 5k over say the 7k or 9k series?
The RS5000X is just the newest version. Most shops don't have them on line yet. I bought mine from AOR... It's a little firmer than stock but absorbs the big bumps really well.

The 7000 series is a monotube design and is generally a stiffer riding shock. The 9000 is their best and is adjustable to dial in the ride you like. It's very popular here on WF.

If you PM Allen at AOR for a quote, he might even save you a little more...

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Rusty's suspensions systems are no frills parts with some pretty good manufacturing and definitely good bang for the buck. The coils have a linear spring rate which is not too stiff. The two parts I would not buy from Rusty's are the shocks and the radius arm style control arms. You can find better shocks for a reasonable price including the Ranchos's described by Pressurized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts