Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

2101 - 2120 of 2160 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Vibration is definitely in the steering and I think on the passenger side. After my last wheeling trip, the wheel is about 40° left of center. I don't see anything really bent, so I'm thinking that may just need a little adjustment love. I was hoping for an aha moment, but I think your advice is spot on. I need to start simple and work up. I'm a little out of service for a bit, so I'm gonna limp it along for now. Unfortunately, my wrenching is slow since I caught a firework shell with my leg on my last trip. Haha.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
@itsalwayssunny you get her sorted out yet?
I am on call this weekend, so no wheeling for me. I plan on pulling the wheels off one at a time and checking everything and cleaning it all reallying well like you suggested. I did notice that the lower track bar bolt seems to be ovaling. It is torqued tight, but is still a little sloppy when I first turn the wheel. We welded a reinforcement on the hole when I put the lift on, but that may be starting to oval too. I'm gonna check it really well and see what I find. I don't have any death wobble, just the vibration. I don't think they are the same thing. Gonna set up the pop up tent to try to shield the sun and curse a lot about not having a real garage. Haha.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
I am on call this weekend, so no wheeling for me. I plan on pulling the wheels off one at a time and checking everything and cleaning it all reallying well like you suggested. I did notice that the lower track bar bolt seems to be ovaling. It is torqued tight, but is still a little sloppy when I first turn the wheel. We welded a reinforcement on the hole when I put the lift on, but that may be starting to oval too. I'm gonna check it really well and see what I find. I don't have any death wobble, just the vibration. I don't think they are the same thing. Gonna set up the pop up tent to try to shield the sun and curse a lot about not having a real garage. Haha.

Gotcha.. on call sucks!

Totally get the garage thing. Luckily my driveway is paved.so at least that helps some.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
How goes it? Trying to get enough free time for a trail trip. You been able to get out at all?

Right on!

Got out a few weeks/month ago. did a day trip with some Tacoma guy's up to PMR. Gonna be looking again for something soon, weather it be in the Taco or jeep.

You? and the side bar.. did you get your shimmy figured out?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Right on!

Got out a few weeks/month ago. did a day trip with some Tacoma guy's up to PMR. Gonna be looking again for something soon, weather it be in the Taco or jeep.

You? and the side bar.. did you get your shimmy figured out?
Nice. I'm hesitant to go until I get some parts replaced, but if the weather isn't too cruddy tomorrow, I may just say screw it and go somewhere. I do try to baby it for the most part, but if it breaks, it breaks.

Where to begin on the sidebar. I still think the wheels need to be rebalanced, but the track bar was loose at both ends so those holes are now ovaled. Loosened it, shook the suspension around then retorqued it. That fixed the popping in the steering. Adjusted the drag link some to try to straighten out the wheel. But the tie rod ends and drag link ends are all shot. They pop and shift up and down (not loose castle nuts) when the wheel is turned. So they add a lot of play in the steering. Luckily the ball joints all seem to be solid.

So I ordered a frame side track bar reinforcement bracket and an axle side bracket to reposition and reinforce that hole. It is supposed to also allow me to move the stabilizer up out of the way. I'm going to upgrade the bolts too to try to take out some of that slack. Ohio Diesel Parts sells a kit that was like 10 bucks. And then, because there is no kill like overkill, I ordered a new HD aluminum tie rod and drag link flip kit cause I figured if I'm replacing some parts, now is the time to upgrade it all.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
Nice. I'm hesitant to go until I get some parts replaced, but if the weather isn't too cruddy tomorrow, I may just say screw it and go somewhere. I do try to baby it for the most part, but if it breaks, it breaks.

Where to begin on the sidebar. I still think the wheels need to be rebalanced, but the track bar was loose at both ends so those holes are now ovaled. Loosened it, shook the suspension around then retorqued it. That fixed the popping in the steering. Adjusted the drag link some to try to straighten out the wheel. But the tie rod ends and drag link ends are all shot. They pop and shift up and down (not loose castle nuts) when the wheel is turned. So they add a lot of play in the steering. Luckily the ball joints all seem to be solid.

So I ordered a frame side track bar reinforcement bracket and an axle side bracket to reposition and reinforce that hole. It is supposed to also allow me to move the stabilizer up out of the way. I'm going to upgrade the bolts too to try to take out some of that slack. Ohio Diesel Parts sells a kit that was like 10 bucks. And then, because there is no kill like overkill, I ordered a new HD aluminum tie rod and drag link flip kit cause I figured if I'm replacing some parts, now is the time to upgrade it all.

Nice! Pix when done or it didn't happen. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Good actually. Been moving. We just bought a 177 year old house in Culpeper. Speaking of VA inspection. I think I'm a couple months overdue. Oops...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Got that shiny 2021 sticker in the window. Haha. Lots of gorilla tape off-road light "covers" though. Anyone going on any rides this weekend? I know it's a little late to ask, but I'm debating a ride over to Bald Mountain then back down the parkway tomorrow afternoon.

2101 - 2120 of 2160 Posts