Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread yesterday about dropping my t-case yesterday and found I could go to the hardware store buy some 1/2" bolts and washers and lower my t-case. The first 3 bolts on one side came off (after a bath in pb) and went on perfect, i decided to start with 4 washers. The second three bolts will not come off. I soaked the in pb and got them to turn but they just turn and turn and turn. Is there a nut welded to to the inside of the frame I could have snapped off and it is just turning in the frame? What did I do? What can I do? Any ideas, I need help.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Here's an excellent thread on fixing that problem... Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install -

Be sure, if you know how to weld or have friend who can weld, to also look at getting the weld-in nutserts mentioned in that thread that are a better long-term fix than the nutserts that you have to "set" with a wrench. That is what the factory used. Just make sure to apply some antiseize compound to the t-case bolt threads when you are threading them back into the frame which will prevent this problem from happening again. Antiseize goes on about half the hardware I have underneath my Jeep.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I think you are correct on the bolt welded to the frame being busted. Is there a drain hole in the frame that will allow you access to the bolt area?

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I snapped my seat mounts so i crawled underneath and used an angle grinder and drilled ontop it was a bear to do but it worked

·
Registered
718 Posts
if you pull down on the plate and use an air impact, it should come out. The pressure will pull the nut against the frame and the air should spin it fast enough.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have access to an impact driver, any other suggestions? I am really frustrated. A JK that I can start a clean build on is starting to look so good.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Interesting; I've never heard of a Nutsert before. I did the same sort of thing last year and broke one of the nuts loose. After removing the nut, I did something different that few consider: I had a mechanic weld a steel heliarc coil into the existing hole. It was a permenent fix and as strong as the original setup.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
KawiTJ said:
if you pull down on the plate and use an air impact, it should come out. The pressure will pull the nut against the frame and the air should spin it fast enough.
I've had luck with this technique and nutserts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will have to forgive me, what is a a steel heliarc coil? I even googled it and just found it is a type of welding. Anyone have any good ways of removing the existing bolts? They apear to tight to the ski plate to cut and I cant with pressure on the skid get them to budge.
I am tempted to just bring it to a professional, how safe dio you think driving it would be a short distance to a professional with all three bolts spinning on the passengers side but the skid is not loose at all?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
You will have to forgive me, what is a a steel heliarc coil? I even googled it and just found it is a type of welding. Anyone have any good ways of removing the existing bolts? They apear to tight to the ski plate to cut and I cant with pressure on the skid get them to budge.
I am tempted to just bring it to a professional, how safe dio you think driving it would be a short distance to a professional with all three bolts spinning on the passengers side but the skid is not loose at all?
Threaded insert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Interesting; I've never heard of a Nutsert before. I did the same sort of thing last year and broke one of the nuts loose. After removing the nut, I did something different that few consider: I had a mechanic weld a steel heliarc coil into the existing hole. It was a permenent fix and as strong as the original setup.
Nutserts hold 99% of the commercial transport trucks and trailers you see on the road together. They are very common because unlike a bolt and nut they do not loosen when exposed to high vibration and rough roads and unlike a rivet they are very strong when the proper type is used. They are also called Rivnuts/Rivstuds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts