Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a new job and now have to commute 30 miles each way in LA traffic. I'm not willing to do that drive in my soft-top, lifted, manual transmission, 12mpg Jeep. So today I bit the bullet and bought a Tesla Model 3. I'm really hoping I can avoid selling the Jeep. Right now I'm relying on my 19 yr old daughter who loves the Jeep to keep my dream alive by using it as her daily driver, but I'm worried that soon she'll not be willing to keep filling it with gas. I love my Jeep, but I also like my sanity.

Ian

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Congrats on entry into the EV world. Tesla is one of the top leaders in electric technology so I'm intrigued but staying on the sidelines for now. Reliable long range is a priority for me. Like a smart phone, if there are Tesla issues or you forget to recharge or get stuck in SoCal traffic and running low on juice the JKU could prove its worth as your backup/weekend crawler rig.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Solid choice. I joined the PHEV club with a Honda Clarity this month as a new daily. The cost of gas savings will pay for itself, not to mention less maintenance costs and less time wrenching on the Jeep due to commuting miles.

I’ve been driving to downtown LA with my manual JKU on 37s for the past year. I too average 12-14mpg. Granted it’s usually not during rush hour, it still can get annoying because there’s always going to be traffic any hour of the day. To me, the biggest advantage to commuting with the Jeep is that no one pulls stupid moves with me in traffic nor do I ever have to worry about door dings.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It'll be a long time before EV technology makes sense for me. I do a lot of long distance driving and I need to be able to pull over and refuel in a couple of minutes and be on my way. I can't afford two cars with one being only for local driving.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I hear ya Ian.. I stayed with conventional thinking, a Ford Fiesta. 35 miles to the gallon. You can get a 1-2 year old one for 10k and still rock out with the weekend warrior. I appreciate getting on the Musk train, he is one of only 9 that I follow on Twitter(not because of Tesla). I tell myself, when the mortgage is completely paid (hopefully soon) I'll stretch for either a Tesla or Etron. Did you get the auto pilot safety features? That would be the only way I would consider a Tesla. I would never use auto pilot for anything, but for safety assistance. My other half has the Eyesight technology and though at first I was weary, when it did it's job just once it became an instant family friend.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Couldn’t you have bought more affordable transportation if you really cared about keeping the Jeep? I could never jump on the Tesla bandwagon. Most people buy them because it’s the trendy thing to do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My commute is 30 miles one way as well in socal.. HB to RSM.. the AM isnt bad.. but the drive home sucks..

soon as I break in the 4.56s I am going to get back on the ducati for work commute..

I fell off my dirtbike in big bear and suffered a grade III AC separation, so Im a little gun shy right now..

keep the jeep tho.. :)

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
I purchased my primary home in Moreno Valley last year and rented out my condo to family friends. My commute before the move was about 15 miles all freeway against traffic on a daily basis.

My commute from MoVal is 51 miles one way so i bought a used Prius.

This week is my last week at my current job as i found a new job 2.7 miles from home. I'll be starting next Tuesday. I can finally drive my jk on a daily basis again.

·
Super Moderator
23,207 Posts
I would love a Tesla but in Montana they make no sense. Like Flyfisher I need a vehicle I can drive 1000 miles in a day in and quick fill ups.

·
Super Moderator
5,350 Posts
My younger brother just bought an EV, not a Tesla (he doesn't have that kind of money) but a Chevy Bolt. It sounds like a pretty good deal, and it has a range of over 200 miles. That is getting to the point I could even drive it (typical commute for us is 90 miles each way). I prefer the more traditional options, like the Bolt and the Volt. The Tesla models are to techy for my tastes. But to each their own.
I do think the big break through for EVs will be in figuring out how to recharge them in about the time it takes to fill up with gas. My brothers Bolt got a fast charge while we ate dinner (45 minutes and it was around 80% charged, more then enough to get him home). So they are getting there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That sux dude! Keep a bag of marshmallows in the Tesla though, they seem to turn into bon fires. lol, good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
That sux dude! Keep a bag of marshmallows in the Tesla though, they seem to turn into bon fires. lol, good luck.
I heard a used one can be had for pretty cheap, compared to a new only because the batteries have to be replaced at certain intervals and thats a 20k price tag, but that may just be hearsay, I haven't looked into it myself.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My younger brother just bought an EV, not a Tesla (he doesn't have that kind of money) but a Chevy Bolt. It sounds like a pretty good deal, and it has a range of over 200 miles. That is getting to the point I could even drive it (typical commute for us is 90 miles each way). I prefer the more traditional options, like the Bolt and the Volt. The Tesla models are to techy for my tastes. But to each their own.
I do think the big break through for EVs will be in figuring out how to recharge them in about the time it takes to fill up with gas. My brothers Bolt got a fast charge while we ate dinner (45 minutes and it was around 80% charged, more then enough to get him home). So they are getting there.

The bolt is not much less than a model 3. Totally agree on charging etc. The big difference in terms of infrastructure need vs gas cars is that even though it takes 5-10 times as long to charge an EV (on a high-speed charger) vs filling a gas tank, most charges will be done at home overnight (something you can’t really do with gasoline). So while it seems that we’ll need a lot more charging stations than gas stations to handle the number of vehicles we’ll have to charge, the home charging things changes the game - at least for commute driver, clearly not for long trips.

Also no doubt that EV is more practical in California right now because we have a pretty well built out charging infrastructure.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I heard a used one can be had for pretty cheap, compared to a new only because the batteries have to be replaced at certain intervals and thats a 20k price tag, but that may just be hearsay, I haven't looked into it myself.
I believe that's about right, they don't get a lot of love here in Georgia, well with them bursting into flames and all like that. lol

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
$5k-$7k for battery module replacement according to Elon Musk. He claims they will last for 1500 cycles, which he estimates to be between 300k-500k miles. I'm not saying I believe that, but that's what Musk is on record as stating.

https://interestingengineering.com/tesla-puts-price-on-model-3-battery-module-replacement-around-5000-7000

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice choice in a 2nd vehicle, however at 12mpg and your commute that would be many years of $$ for gas to add up to a Tesla. I was in SoCal last week for work and certainly a ton of Tesla's out there along with RTT's and just modified vehicles in general.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Where I live utility company power is generated mostly by coal fired stations so EV's are really dirty coal burners.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts