Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I ordered a set of Rigid industries SAE compliant dually fog lights. I got them installed over the weekend and figured I would give a little review of them.

I ordered the fog lights.
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_optics%3a4230

The brackets to install them in the stock bumper (I have an LOD armorlite bumper but figured these would work).
http://www.rigidindustries.com/mounting-options/40138

And I ordered quadratec adapters for plug and play into the factory harness. (More on this later).
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_090X_A_PG.htm

Everything arrived in a timely manner and I didn't have any problems there. The rigid brackets did appear to be missing some hardwear, but I made due without and everything seemed to go together well.

ForumRunner_20150309_001305.jpg

I did run into a few snags, I actually ended up having to take my LOD bumper off because while I got the lights unbolted they would not fit out, they were trapped between the crash bar and the bumper, this wasn't really a huge problem but be aware of it if you have an after market bumper. (Or maybe stock I really dont know).

ForumRunner_20150309_001805.jpg

So after a little bit of struggle with the brackets (missing hardwear issue) I got them all plugged in mounted up, flip on my lights and turned them on and they worked great, then I turned them off and noticed they were strobbing :( did some reading and found out this is semi common with led fogs. With mine they had a constant strobbing effect anytime the key was on and for about 5 min after it was off. This wasn't going to work for me so I just wired them up to an open slot on my spod and figured that's good for now. I read on another thread that qtec is working on developing an anti flicker harness for their fogs so when they release that I will probably give it a try but for the time being the spod is fine.

ForumRunner_20150309_003736.jpg

ForumRunner_20150309_003755.jpg

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how did they work?

In one word awesome!!

At first I mounted them up flush... But they were pointed a little high like this and the top of the fog beam was about even with the top of my truck light beam.

Fogs only

ForumRunner_20150309_004110.jpg

Fogs and trucklites

ForumRunner_20150309_004153.jpg

But I adjusted them down as far as they would go so that they would actually be useful as fogs and they seemed perfect for me there. They cut off right about where the main point of my trucklite beams starts.

Fogs only

ForumRunner_20150309_004322.jpg

Fogs and trucklites

ForumRunner_20150309_004600.jpg

These bottom pictures are a little bit deceiving because of the snow bank, the fogs actually produce an even and flat light, that should work great as a fog light, its wide and low and appears to be a nice beam. They blend well with my trucklites and match nicely. If I get her onto a flat stretch of road soon at night I will try to snap some better pics.

Overall I'm very happy with this upgrade a little pricey but they are great lights. I previously had the rebel offroad led bulbs in the stock house snd these blow those away its no cometition. If this is an option that you are considering be aware of possible flicker/strobbing effects with the stock wiring. Otherwise I'm very happy. I will try to update if and when quadratec releases an anti flicker harness for fog lights. Hopefully that will allow me to run these with the factory harness but fkrn now its spod to the rescue, HunterTheBeagle is one happy camper.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is the light output? Been looking at those as well.
Sorry I was getting to that my post was just getting pretty long... lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thank you for your comments. I have been intrigued by these ever since I heard about them. I'm also glad you're running these with truck lites too because that is the same set up I have. Is the color of light the same? It looks that way from your pictures. I hope they release that harness for you soon so I can see if it works, I don't want a strobe light and I don't yet have an sPod.
One other question for you too, my truck lites are amazing, do you think the rigid fogs illuminate areas the truck lites miss? Or just throw more light into the same area? I've considered not doing the DOT fogs and order an amber set instead.

·
Registered
378 Posts
But I adjusted them down as far as they would go so that they would actually be useful as fogs and they seemed perfect for me there. They cut off right about where the main point of my trucklite beams starts.
A quick, easy way to adjust fog lights is to measure from the ground to the center of the fog light, then adjust them so the top of the beam cutoff is 4" lower than that measurement when projected on a wall at 25'.

So if you measure (for instance) 26" from the ground to the center of the fog light, the top of your beam cutoff should be 22" high on a wall 25' away.

I've been eyeballing those Rigids. I like that they're a real DOT fog light, unlike a lot of the LED "fog lights" on the market. My only issue with them really is the price. :(

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your comments. I have been intrigued by these ever since I heard about them. I'm also glad you're running these with truck lites too because that is the same set up I have. Is the color of light the same? It looks that way from your pictures. I hope they release that harness for you soon so I can see if it works, I don't want a strobe light and I don't yet have an sPod.
One other question for you too, my truck lites are amazing, do you think the rigid fogs illuminate areas the truck lites miss? Or just throw more light into the same area? I've considered not doing the DOT fogs and order an amber set instead.
The color of light between the trucklites and the rigids is very close, the rigids look a little whiter to me but it maybe the intensity of the lights and not the actual color, at any rate its close enough for me and doesn't bother me. When I had the stock fogs in The color difference drove me crazy haha these do not.

The trucklites do a surprisingly good job of lighting the area directly in front of the jeep, these fogs give a more intense light right in front of the jeep (how I have them aimed anyhow) this should work great in in climate weather which is what fogs were designed for. Are they needed with the trucklites? Probably not, but they do help and I really believe they will I'll find out once we get some fog.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A quick, easy way to adjust fog lights is to measure from the ground to the center of the fog light, then adjust them so the top of the beam cutoff is 4" lower than that measurement when projected on a wall at 25'.

So if you measure (for instance) 26" from the ground to the center of the fog light, the top of your beam cutoff should be 22" high on a wall 25' away.

I've been eyeballing those Rigids. I like that they're a real DOT fog light, unlike a lot of the LED "fog lights" on the market. My only issue with them really is the price. :(
Thanks for the tips on aiming fogs I'm happy with how I have mine aimed right now, They work great for what they are intended for. If I ever have my bumper apart again I may try your method of aiming but I'm happy with them now.

Yeah I understand the price is a bit high, did you check out KC or quadratecs LED fogs? There a bit more reasonable but I'm not sure they will put out as much light. It all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to update this thread and say that I have been extremely pleased with the light output and beam pattern of this setup. Had a chance to drive in some snow the other morning and the rigids certainly did their job.

Might be a while till we get some fog but im eager to try them out in that as well as a rainy night.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
My only issue with them really is the price. :(
Check these out: Lighting packages
You can get square, like I have, or the "Revolvers" which are round and match the factory look. The brackets fit perfectly in my aftermarket bumper and they come with the PSX24 plug connector, so they're Plug & Play. The price is very attractive as well. Use code "JKBRKT".

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the inspired engineering lights they are a good price and people seem to like them. I thought about them myself, but my issue with them was they are not sea/dot approved to be ran on the road. So they are offroad only. Yeah I know the whole "I only run them on the back road thing" but to me it would be annoying to be constantly flipping them off and on when I'm passing someone. And those are going to be entirely to bright to leave on when u do pass someone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got what seem to be those very lights; installed a year ago by my local shade tree mechanic; no flicker, no fancy harness.

These 3" Rigid fogs are perfect for the 'fog light' role. I am told they are DOT compliant. They have perfect cut off & not one out of 100 oncoming rigs seem to think anything it too bright if I leave them on.

I have the OEM fogs as well, and have installed the yellow tone bulbs. Together they provide ample for the heavy seasonal PNW fog in rural setting and give a decent sense of '3-D' that I like.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Has there been any update with the Quadratec anti-flicker harness?
No unfortunately it seems as if quadratec changed their lights a bit to the point that they never developed the fog light antiflicker. At least I don't see it on their website. From what I remember it was really just the early version of their fogs that had issues.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got what seem to be those very lights; installed a year ago by my local shade tree mechanic; no flicker, no fancy harness.

These 3" Rigid fogs are perfect for the 'fog light' role. I am told they are DOT compliant. They have perfect cut off & not one out of 100 oncoming rigs seem to think anything it too bright if I leave them on.

I have the OEM fogs as well, and have installed the yellow tone bulbs. Together they provide ample for the heavy seasonal PNW fog in rural setting and give a decent sense of '3-D' that I like.
Mine only flickered (really flashed when the key was off, not flickered) when I had them installed to the factory fog harness using the factory switch. Sounds like if you have factory fogs still installed you probably have them hooked to a separate switch. They don't flicker when installed with their own switch and through the battery and not the factory canbus harness, in my case I have them hooked to my spod.

Still love the lights by the way they have been fantastic.

·
Registered
421 Posts
"if you have factory fogs still installed you probably have them hooked to a separate switch. They don't flicker when installed with their own switch and through the battery and not the factory canbus harness, in my case I have them hooked to my spod."

yes, separate circuit...although I sometimes wonder how long I can manage without a spod. They just cost too much for my needs.

Agree the Rigid 3" cubes are fantastic....in their own way as much an unexpected but welcomed leap ahead in performance as the Rancho 9000 shocks were.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No unfortunately it seems as if quadratec changed their lights a bit to the point that they never developed the fog light antiflicker. At least I don't see it on their website. From what I remember it was really just the early version of their fogs that had issues.
Is this the item you're looking for? I just picked up a pair of rigids SAE fog lights for cheap, I don't know how old they are. I'd like for them to not flicker so I've though about picking up this set to try it out.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0920_14.htm

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this the item you're looking for? I just picked up a pair of rigids SAE fog lights for cheap, I don't know how old they are. I'd like for them to not flicker so I've though about picking up this set to try it out.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0920_14.htm
Oh shoot yeah that looks like them. I had not looked for a while and before I posted i scrolled thru their website on my phone and didn't see them. Guess I didn't look hard enough, thanks krummark.
The

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wonder why they they claim they are only for 14-17 wranglers, i know 07-09 used a different plug on the factory fog harness but i thought after that they were all the same. I may order a pair and see if they plug right in, if so and they work then cool if not ill just hook back up to my spod and send them back to Qtec.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts