Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my jeep with only the hardtop so I don't have a tailgate bar.

Will I need to get one to put on safari straps?

Thanks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not needed but recommended, otherwise your straps will be hanging loosely

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually it's really cool how they do it... I don't know if it's a new feature they added. I always understood that with the rear-most strap you had the option to hook the J hooks into the tailgate bar or just let them hang. In that case, you'd still have that strap pulled taught at each end and attached to the roll bar. So it would all hook up just fine, but it wouldn't connect tightly with anything rearward and that back strap would be kinda loose.

What I've never read mentioned before, leading me to believe that it's either a new feature or I just wasn't paying close enough attention, is the fact that the rear strap also has longer straps attached at the same point as the J hook straps which give you the option to secure it to the D rings just inside the tailgate if you can't use the other option. It worked perfectly for me since my tailgate bar is monopolized by my soft top boot.

So you wouldn't have any worries running it without, and then if you decide to later you can always get a tailgate bar once you see what it would accomplish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What I've never read mentioned before, leading me to believe that it's either a new feature or I just wasn't paying close enough attention, is the fact that the rear strap also has longer straps attached at the same point as the J hook straps which give you the option to secure it to the D rings just inside the tailgate if you can't use the other option. It worked perfectly for me since my tailgate bar is monopolized by my soft top boot.
I bought in July 2012 and do not have straps at the j hooks

·
Registered
467 Posts

This is exactly what I have, do you have more straps at the J-hooks?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hmm. Hard to see on that pic with my phone, but I think so. I should've been more specific that I don't have them on the middle two, but on the two in the corners I've got a strap with the J hook and also a strap to connect to the D ring, which I don't think is shown in your picture. But maybe it is and I'm just dumb. :)

My soft top boot is kind of in the way but here's a couple pictures to show those, as well as my middle two J hooks that are still just hanging. And I've also got the Cargo Net installed so if it looks like there's too much going on there, that's why.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually the more I look at that, I think I am just dumb. I think those straps that I'm referring to were supposed to hook to the back corner of the body. It just didn't even occur to me to do that since I had my soft top still there when I hooked it up. Don't mind me...:whistling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts