Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:atomic: o man. This no tools, basic installation should be a breeze to install top had me feeling like I was gonna blow a gasket. More complicated than it should be. Advice to anyone installing Bestop safari top, walk away when feeling extremely angry then try again. Took me a few hours to get it done. Lay it over jeep and loosely fasten all straps then attempt to attach to windshield channel. All videos I have seen have you attaching it to windshield channel first, not the case, well at least not for me. Once on its great.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah, I was about to lose it when I was putting mine on...like you I figured out that putting some of the other stuff on first really helped getting the front into the header channel evenly. Now that its on, I'm really happy with it, but getting it that way was a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
First time I put my Quadratec version on, it was a real PITA too. Could not keep the front edge in the track of the header bar. Once I realized that the center strap needed to go around the roll bar and back to the footman's loop on the windshield, every thing works great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first time installing a new top is always frustrating for me. The instructions always leave out beer when it lists tools needed for install

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same top and I have learned if you loosely attach the roll bar wraps then put it into the window channel on each side pulling the wraps back once you get each side in it drops your time in about half.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ahhhh soft top fun :)

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First Choice for me was to get spiderweb shade but only thing available was mesh, and I needed more protection from the elements so I went with the safari top. My preference is to have no top at all but it's my daily driver and here we get afternoon showers so if I can't get trail cover on in time hopefully this will help a bit.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I found that glueing the safari top to the header bar made the install 80% faster and less frustrating. That was the most frustrating part of the install was getting the top to stay on the header. With it glued on the header, uninstalling/installing is nothing more than rolling it out/in with the header already attached.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I found that glueing the safari top to the header bar made the install 80% faster and less frustrating. That was the most frustrating part of the install was getting the top to stay on the header. With it glued on the header, uninstalling/installing is nothing more than rolling it out/in with the header already attached.
Pretty neat idea! Way to think outside the box. Wish I would of though of that years ago.

My Safari top and no drill header is over 7 years old. It was a PITA the first time I installed it too. It has a memory, and the old top goes on real easy these days.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Wattapunk, what kind of glue did you used? That is a great idea, and would make the install take minutes.
I beleived it was liquid nails construction adhesive. I put a thin strip of adhesive on both sides of the safari top plastic header strip then insert it in the windshield header. I bought several of the cheap plastic c-clamps and clamped the top and header together overnight to dry. Worked like a charm. I don't recommend the clear silicone since the texas heat just makes it gooey and just came apart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts