Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help deciding between sports s package vs safari.
compared feature by feature and found only couple of differences between safari and sports with all options.

In sports there is 17 inch wheel and safari 18 inch wheel
LED head light is available in Safari.
Flenders are plastic in sports vs metal in safari.
Price difference is 2100$.
does it still makes sense to buy safari. Is there any hidden tech differences to justify the price difference please?

·
Registered
289 Posts
fenders are all plastic- some are painted - not metal unless they are aftermarket
17" tires are cheaper, have more options and offer more Sidewall cushion/flex
Good Aftermarket LED's can be had on the cheap <$500

if you are into customizing: by buy the base sport and have fun making it yours

Or Drive them both and see what puts the biggest smile on your face

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Lol there is no such thing as a safari package.

Reactions: d2mini

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The Sport is the entry level Wrangler. It's for those who can't afford more or plan on doing extreme modifications. The Sahara was designed by Jeep to be the pavement princess Wrangler for those who want a Jeep, but use it mostly as a daily driver with the occasional drive to the mall to climb over some speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Tune in tonight at 8pm on your local PBS station and catch a glimpse of the rarest of all Jeeps.... The elusive Safari edition Wrangler as it comes out only after dark.
Set your DVRs.:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Functionally there are no differences between the Sahara and the Sport S, just different options. The Sahara has more bells and whistles, including the painted fender flares (still plastic).

I would prefer the Sport S's 17 inch alloys to the 18 inch alloys of the Sahara. The LED headlights would be nice as the stock lights are not very good, but you can go aftermarket if need be.

Do you like the body colored flares, or the black flares?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Reactions: lucyricky

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
The Safari er Sahara not only has the LED headlights as available they are standard along with the LED fog lights. After market that's about a grand, optioned on the Sport S it's $600.

Mallip1972 - please excuse us from having a little fun at your expense. Welcome to the club, and remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. This group is more than willing to share their experience and knowledge with you. They do like to poke fun at each other though.

In the last three years I have learned a lot. I joined after I got back into Jeeps with my TJ. I actually joined three forms, but this one has a lot more members and very knowledgeable.

Be careful when you buy aftermarket items from Craigslist and eBay. Craigslist especially. The other day I noted a Craigslist posting for 18" Rubicon wheels and tires. The photos clearly showed 5 Rubicon wheels which are 17" and 5 Bridgstone A/T tires off a Sahara which are in fact 18". A posting selling 5 tires and wheels that don't go together - fishy.

When you make your decision let us know and post pictures. This forum believes if there are no pictures it didn't happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the advise.I am one step closer in deciding .Again sorry for saying Safari instead of sahara. Based on all the info , I am leaning towards sports S.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Thank you for all the advise.I am one step closer in deciding .Again sorry for saying Safari instead of sahara. Based on all the info , I am leaning towards sports S.
The Sport S is a good Rig. As mentioned the Sahara (aka: Safari) is a bells and whistles package. Nice stuff "IF" you want it.
Wrangler Packages, Editions and etc is tough to keep straight let alone pick one.
Good luck, No bad decisions Just ones that fit your needs the best.
Concentrate on "Must-Haves" for You that are tough/expensive to add later (like: side airbags, kinda tough to add those)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sports S vs Sahara

I am adding
sports S package 24 S
Connectivity group
LED lighting group
Max trailer tow package( included 3.73 gearing)
Freedom Top Black 3 piece Hard Top

I don't need leather or nav or upgraded speaker.
I believe I can buy the Premium Black Sunrider® Soft Top later.

Am i missing anything that is there in sahara and not in sports S after all this.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I am adding
sports S package 24 S
Connectivity group
LED lighting group

Am i missing anything that is there in sahara and not in sports S after all this.
I'd have to look to see what you are allowed to add to an "S" but if you can...
I love having a remote start (has to be an AT) but ......

·
Registered
72 Posts
One other minor difference ... Sahara can be ordered with saddle interior bits, not just black. Saddle interior still has black (charcoal) seats if in cloth, which breaks up the darkness if that matters (was a deciding factor for my wife).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was just looking at the same thing for the next one when this lease is up. the sahara has a few more options standard, but they can be purchased on the sport s. I priced both out the same, and the sport s was still $3k cheaper. that's a lot of money for 18" wheels and body colored fenders!!

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I am adding
sports S package 24 S
Connectivity group
LED lighting group

Looks pretty good. The LED lighting is good choice as after market the headlights alone are $800 for the pair of MOPARs. Max towing is a good way to go as well. I saw a Sport S on a dealers website that had the 3.73 and trailer towing packages ordered separately for $1190 total rather than as the Max towing for $845.

You can buy the soft top later. They are expensive when it includes the frame as well as fabric and windows, but about the same as the option when you include the cost of the Freedom top. There are several manufacturers who now offer a sunrider type soft front section replacing the Freedom panels of the hard top. If you have people riding in the back seat you don't want to open a sunrider or remove the Freedom panels for reportedly the wind blast hits them right in the face.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts