Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the long post...

Tuesday, I got my windshield replaced by Safelite. They did it while I was at work, and I never had a chance to check it out before the guy left.

I'm driving home, and I'm getting a whole lot of whistling wind noise. I let it go for a day, but it's driving me nuts. I check the Jeep, and holy damn. I'm missing a LOT of black adhesive, to the point where I can see where all the old adhesive used to be, as it looks like someone poorly scraped it away, and now a bunch of crap that shouldn't be exposed is just.. there. The adhesive isn't even flush with the glass, there's so little of it, it's up and under the glass windshield. The old adhesive gives it a look of poorly drawn scribbled sharpie pen around my glass. It looks gross.

On top of that, I'm missing paint in the bottom driver's side corner of my windscreen from someone trying to get the old glass out.

I notice this, and I call Safelite corporate. I'm forwarded to two reps and a manager. Manager calls the local garage that did the work, and asks the guy (who I can hear on the line) what time they close. He said 6PM (this is yesterday). Said to come by before then so they can check the Jeep out and get the warranty process started. Fine.

I leave work a bit early to make it with some time to spare so no one is rushed. I literally wait for 45 min in bumper to bumper traffic, waste a ton of gas etc, get there and the garage is dark and the door is locked. I look at the door, and the hours say it's closed at 5pm.

I'm pissed. I call corporate again, get a manager, and 15 min into our call as they're running around trying to figure out what happened, the garage lights up like an xmas tree. I turn around and inside is a worker doing paper work. I knock on the glass and he comes to the door.

I explain to him what's gone on, and he's being very rude (keep in mind, I have corporate on the phone the whole time unbeknownst to him). He's rude until he sees the job, and then he shuts up. This is when it goes from bad to wtf. He says, "You can bring it in sometime, let us have it for like, two hours... and we'll get a guy to respray the body panel and we'll reinstall the windshield.

Now, I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but when it comes to body work, I've done my fair share. You can't uninstall a windshield, prep the area, paint it, let it cure long enough for adhesive to be on it holding the weight of a windshield, and then reinstall a windshield in 2 freakin hours. No way.

I get his card, I give him my info, he promises to call the next day (today). I get back into my Jeep, and I'm on the phone with corporate. He's sitting in his truck the whole time just watching me as he smokes a cigarette. Corporate said they have a warranty process and he's trying to circumvent it, and to let them take care of it. Fine. They promise to also call first thing in the morning.

Nothing from either one of them.

So after work, I call corporate again, and now I'm pretty pissed. They went from claiming they didn't know anything about there being a warranty request, to them claiming they called and I didn't answer, to them admitting they didn't call and promising they'd get to the "bottom of it".

Now I have the warranty dept's phone number, and either they call me or I call them on Monday.

I've used them since I started driving when I was 15. I'm now 34. I've had cars with radar attached to the glass, antennas in the glass, all sorts of bs. This is about as simple as simple gets. Hell, they didn't even put in the right class! I had Gorilla glass installed, and they put normal non-Jeep badged Mopar glass in despite my insurance company's instructions to them.

Between the dealer and now this shit that I'm having to go through because of the dealer (they sold me the Jeep with the glass cracked and paid me to fix it), it's just been one thing after another. I've gotten literally everything else resolved, but man.. just at my wit's end.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just the fact I have to have a part resprayed on my Jeep that's not had jack shit happen to it it's whole life (despite minor tree branch trail damage) is making me sick.

:pullinghair:

I will keep this thread updated.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Photos always help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos always help.
For here or for Safelite? Their quality manager (the rude guy) looked at it and verified it was a pos install. As far as corporate, I can't even get them on the phone none the less able to send them pics.

If you're talking about posting them here, I guess I can, but it'll have to wait till later. I've gotten enough crap for taking hard to see pics at night with a flash and posting them on here, I've learned my lesson ;).

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’m a little confused. You mention buying the Jeep from a dealership with a cracked windshield and then paying you to have it fixed, but you also mentioned insurance instructions for gorilla glass. Am I misreading this or did you make an insurance claim for a windshield repair that the dealer already reimbursed you for? If that’s the case, what you’re dealing with through Safelite is called karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had Safelite replace the windshield in my Mazda CX5 a few years back, terrible job. Apparently they the chose the wrong windshield the first time & got all kinds of adhesive everywhere inside the windshield area up top where all the "radar" sensors are. Things weren't mounted to the windshield right and were just dangling.

When they replaced it they got goop all over my radio - that stuff doesn't come off, so I ended up getting a new Kenwood (from the place right next to the Safelite location, hmmm, sketchy?) but the Kenwood couldn't connect w/all the Mazda settings that you can change, door locks, wiper intervals, lighting, etc.

Took them three windshields to get it right. First time I never inspected it because the guy left when he was done w/o telling me - he knew he messed up. 2nd one was goop on the radio and the third one was the charm.

Clowns, never again w/them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Like 603, used them once on a company car (insurance contract) total hack job, scratched the A pillar on both sides, interior trim was falling off.

Never again with Safelite

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have used Safelite at least 10 times on JK's since 2012 and mostly have had great luck. I had to return one time for a whistle but they corrected it. It is important on JK's to get the windshield set just right to prevent whistling. the crazy thing is you would think it would have to be perfectly centered but that is not the case it needs to have a wider gap at the top vs the bottom. I take mine right to the shop and it takes them an hour. They have a nice modern clean shop and I feel way better going and waiting vs someone coming out and fixing it. They have a large plate glass window looking into the shop so you can watch them the entire time. I guess my point is like any other thing some are good some are bad.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I 've had 2 replaced windshields replaced by them. I was also standing right there watching the whole process. All the sealant was removed except maybe 2 or three percent and then they used a robotic arm attached to the drive side mirror to place the glass. Clean job.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I’ve used them no less than 5 times in the last year on our 2 Jeeps. They came to my home each time. Not one problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I’m a little confused. You mention buying the Jeep from a dealership with a cracked windshield and then paying you to have it fixed, but you also mentioned insurance instructions for gorilla glass. Am I misreading this or did you make an insurance claim for a windshield repair that the dealer already reimbursed you for? If that’s the case, what you’re dealing with through Safelite is called karma.

Good point.

....This is about as simple as simple gets. Hell, they didn't even put in the right class! I had Gorilla glass installed, and they put normal non-Jeep badged Mopar glass in despite my insurance company's instructions to them......

Between the dealer and now this shit that I'm having to go through because of the dealer (they sold me the Jeep with the glass cracked and paid me to fix it), it's just been one thing after another.......

If the dealer paid you to have the windshield fixed when you bought it, then why is your insurance involved?

EDIT: Better yet, at the time of purchase, the dealer should have replaced the glass instead of putting the burden on you.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
We used Safelite for years in the fleet and have had them do quite a few personal vehicles, my JKU two times. No problems, the only problem we had with the fleet was a dead vehilce with a RAV 4 electric, some wire in the glass nobody knew about, and the vehicle won't move...but they found out and took care of it the next day....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I won't use Safelite for my Jeep...Mostly because the manager of the local shop more or less called me a idiot. I asked for Gorilla Glass and gave him the Mopar part number, he said he has been doing Jeep windshields for years and there is no such product for the JK...I was wrong. Even when I informed him it was just released as a new product, he insisted I was wrong and ended the call. I don't deal with people like that, waste of my time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sorry, I should have clarified. There were a couple minor chips in the glass which they compensated me for in the price of the vehicle when I bought it. I didn't care and was going to just leave it as is, but a couple weeks after purchase a motorcycle on the 101 chucked a rock at my screen that cracked it literally the width of the screen, almost a perfect horizontal line. At that point, that's a cop magnet (and the glare of sun in my face on my way to work wasn't too fun either), so I scheduled to have it done.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have had decent luck with Safelite. They are the vendor my Ins company uses if you submit an online claim.

Only once did I have an issue and that's where they insisted that a chip could be filled. Well, it can be but it still looked like crap and was in my line of sight. I had them replace the windshield and my Ins company backed me.

I have also had JK windshields replaced multiple times. The Safelite in Durham was not as thorough or careful as the one up in the Reidsville area but it was quiet and didn't leak so I can't complain.

The last windshield I had done, the tech was prompt and very thorough. Meticulously prepped and cleaned everything, used the proper spacers and politely asked if I was willing to help him place the windshield so he could make sure it was in right. He would have used the robot arm if I wasn't willing but to me, that meant he wanted to do the job right.

Had absolutely no issue getting OEM Mopar glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts