Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Numerous discussion covered the subject on previous model but despite my research, i did not find the answer for the 2014 model.

I am ready to purchase a new Jeep 2014 Sahara and want to set up my own sound system. Some people on this forum say that you need to get the connectivity group to get the steering wheel control, some say the opposite. Could someone clarify the situation once for all?

Also I understand that the connectivity group give you the electronic vehicle information center (EVIC ) in the cluster that gives you more information as well as let you adjust all the personal settings without the key fob dance. What i don't know is if some of the information are only available with the CG (in another words, that you cannot get these info, even by playing around with the key fob...). I am just wondering if spending $500 to get my tire pressure is worth it. So if someone could tell me what makes it so special, it would be really appreciated! :worthy:

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I don't know if it helps any but that is the one and only thing I miss from my '12 Sahara is the EVIC. Had dealer install BT for hands free and voice control but miss having the buttons on steering wheel. Not often used but little things that spoiled me...

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I am ready to purchase a new Jeep 2014 Sahara and want to set up my own sound system. Some people on this forum say that you need to get the connectivity group to get the steering wheel control, some say the opposite. Could someone clarify the situation once for all?
Here is a pic of a '14 Sahara I found by simply searching inventory from the Jeep.com website. It has the base 130 radio and no Connectivity Group.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Check Jeep.com. It includes:

TPMS
EVIC
Remote USB port
Bluetooth connectivity to cell phone + voice command

The 2014 EVIC has a lot of information and settings. It's awkward enough going through it with the steering wheel controls. I can't see doing it with the FOB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a pic of a '14 Sahara I found by simply searching inventory from the Jeep.com website. It has the base 130 radio and no Connectivity Group.

So it seems like you get the steering wheel controls without the connectivity group.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check Jeep.com. It includes:

TPMS
EVIC
Remote USB port
Bluetooth connectivity to cell phone + voice command

The 2014 EVIC has a lot of information and settings. It's awkward enough going through it with the steering wheel controls. I can't see doing it with the FOB.
First of all thank you for all your answers, this is really helpful. It seems the steering control are available without the connectivity group on the 2014 model, thus the only question remaining are concerning the TPMS, USB port and the Bluetooth connectivity to cell phone + voice command.

I read something on this forum about the TPMS included in the base model: if the pressure falls under a certain limit, a logo on the dashboard will let you know anyway (the oremium TPMS will let you know the accurate pressure, but no need to know the accurate pressure to understand you need to inflate them...).
Regarding the remote USB port and the Bluetooth connectivity to cell phone + voice command, all of this is provided by the sound system that i am planning to buy.

Leaving the EVIC. Do you guys play with this thing regularly or is it something you set up once and forget all about?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There are two different sets of steering wheel controls. There will be extra buttons on the left hand side.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
So it seems like you get the steering wheel controls without the connectivity group.
Look closer. There are four buttons missing on the left side of the wheel. Its those four buttons you loose, without the connectivity group.

Of course, regardless, you get the cruise control buttons on the right side, because they aren't related to the radio or Bluetooth or connectivity.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
(the oremium TPMS will let you know the accurate pressure, but no need to know the accurate pressure to understand you need to inflate them...)
It is nice to know which tire is the one with low pressure.

I just went thru this with another vehicle of mine. The general tire pressure warning light came on. Walking around, it looked rather obvious that the driver side front tire was low. It eventually turned out to not be it, it was actually the passenger rear tire that was low, but you couldn't tell by looking.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought a stock sport, the only options I paid for were air conditioning, connectivity, and SAT radio. I find the connectivity group to be an excellent value and I'm a no frills guy. Individual air pressure readouts for each tire is my favorite feature, but I find other uses for EVIC. You're getting a Sahara, it would be strange NOT to get the connectivity. I expect a lot of blank plastic pieces on a sport to remind me of what I didn't pay for, just doesn't seem right for the Sahara.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Connectivity package was a no brainier for me. I'm 32 y o with a smart phone. Soft top or hard top; I love the hands free and music stream.

What is it about the Sahara package that you like? Willys edition has the connectivity package standard.

Another plus of the connectivity group is knowing the pressure in each tire when Having aftermarket wheels and tires for an off road situation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like having the connectivity group and feel its a good value for what you pay. I use it regularly and enjoy the EVIC offerings. For me, I want as much as I can get on my DD. I never short myself on technical luxury items on a vehicle. Easy to buy them up front and difficult and costly to get them install later. Also, should you sell to purchase another jeep, the connectivity package will add value. Think of it as one of the few mods that a resale buyer will be willing to pay for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts