Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the forum. Recently bought a 2017 Unlimited Sahara. It's awesome! I have an issue with the silver grill inserts. I was removing them to put in black mesh grill inserts. After I got them out, I realized they were supposed to stay in the grill. I had a heck of a time getting them back in. I guess they are different sizes. Finally got the reinstalled but one is not in right. Does anyone have knowledge on these? I was going to put in Opar inserts but they are really a cheap plastic and the first one broke a tab. Anyway, looks like I'm sticking with the stock look for a while.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The '16 and newer Sahara has a special "dual grill" like the Recon, the Polar/Dragon/Altitude editions...totally different piece than the Rubicon, Sport and '15 and older Saharas.

Most of the aftermarket grille inserts are for the simpler, regular grille (that comes without OEM inserts) which is a different molding.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The grill inserts was one thing that annoyed me about the Sahara grill. I ended up taking them out to paint them black and they look so much better than the old silver.

The inserts go in a specific order and I don't believe are interchangeable. If you look at the inserts they have codes on them which refer to the order. Its been a long time since I last took them out, so I can't remember what the codes are, but it is something that indicates that one is center, one is left center, right center, etc, etc.

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish someone could explain the code. Can you buy just the inserts?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wish someone could explain the code. Can you buy just the inserts?
Yes you can- sold individually, and each and every one will likely be pretty expensive.

As for what insert goes into which slot, the link in post #3 does a decent job of explaining things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basicxj, do you have a part # for the inserts? My local dealer couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
basicxj, do you have a part # for the inserts? My local dealer couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance!
My dual grille was traded along with my Sahara, back in December 2016, so sorry I do not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just trimmed the tabs on mine and put a Jwm insert behind it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Which tabs did you trim? The ones on the silver OEM inserts or on the grill itself. Like the looks of what you did. One season on the road with my Sahara and the AC fins look like they were pelleted with marbles!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Which tabs did you trim? The ones on the silver OEM inserts or on the grill itself. Like the looks of what you did. One season on the road with my Sahara and the AC fins look like they were pelleted with marbles!
The ones on the insert...laid the mesh insert on it and saw the ones that were hitting, trimmed and repeated until it laid flat

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also installed the JWM brand, but the hood lock version on my 2016 Sahara BackCountry edition. I had to trim the tabs as well see the first picture those are the tabs I had to trim, second picture shows them trimmed.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently did DIY mesh insert on my Freedom Edition grill, which also has those funky OEM inserts and plastic tabs. In my case, I hand-cut seven pieces of metal grill mesh, making small cutouts to accommodate the plastic tabs. I didn't want to cut / trim the tabs for fear of damaging the OEM inserts or altering how they attach to grill. It was a pain-staking process but the results came out good.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bit of a Necro, but does anyone know if the silver on these inserts match the Billet Silver paint color? I am looking at a Black Sahara grill with the silver inserts, it would appear that they go together but I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trimming the tabs have no effect on the inserts. Just don't trim more than 1/8 to 3/16 inch then try the fit. Take a little more if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also installed the JWM brand, but the hood lock version on my 2016 Sahara BackCountry edition. I had to trim the tabs as well see the first picture those are the tabs I had to trim, second picture shows them trimmed.
Hey can you tell me is this is the one you purchased?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts