Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my TJ and buying a 2017. its going to mainly for 3rd vehicle around town and RV towing. Reason I'm asking which is the drive that much different between the 2? i do remember the tj was a much rougher ride out of the gate. is it still the same way?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
To expand on the above , the Sahara will ride smoother, but you should test drive both and decide which one suits your needs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sahara comes with the most street oriented wheel/tire combo, while the Rubicon is equipped with mud tires and is meant for the heaviest offroad use. If you just want a runabout, the Rubicon is WAY overkill for you, and comes at a significant price premium as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No LSD available on the Rubi.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just sold my TJ and buying a 2017. its going to mainly for 3rd vehicle around town and RV towing. Reason I'm asking which is the drive that much different between the 2? i do remember the tj was a much rougher ride out of the gate. is it still the same way?
3rd vehicle around town = Sahara

Towing behind RV (for around town on road trips = Sahara

Towing an RV? = neither

Tires and shocks are really the only factors between the two with regards to ride quality.

If you're planning on even mild lift and tires ride quality is a non factor between the two.

If your planning on exploring trails = Rubicon.

Rubi has 4:1 transfer case and D44 front axle which is an excellent set up for most off roading short of extreme. Not necessary for a runabout or even mild to moderate trails.

Really the only downside to a Rubi is cost (individual choice) and the fact that the stock MT tires suck for a daily driver (maybe not an issue for a 3rd vehicle)

You recall the TJ being a rougher ride out of the gate? Rougher than what?

2 door JK's can still be a bit choppy due to the short wheelbase.

I daily drive a 4 door, ride is firm and truck like compared to luxury vehicles, but firm and confident compared to average vehicles.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
No LSD available on the Rubi.
So what? It has lockers. All wranglers have the electronic limited slip feature that brakes the slipping wheel.

OP, if you're not going to off-road it where you need lockers, just get a sport with the 24S package (power stuff) and call it day. Sahara is just a fancy trim package.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So what? It has lockers. All wranglers have the electronic limited slip feature that brakes the slipping wheel.
Lockers are worthless on the street, and the electric limited slip doesn't work as well in bad weather as a mechanical one.

While it may not be a priority for you, it is for many.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I've never had a traction problem in bad weather. I drove all through 2-3 foot snow banks in our D.C. Area storm 2 winters ago with only the electronic "limited slip" working and it did fine. I see no need for mechanical limited slip for the street.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
4JKUR37 pretty much covered it. Recommend 3.73 gears

CrazyMocha:

4JKUR37 pretty much covered it.

The 18" wheels on the Sahara will limit your tire options but for your intended use will be fine with the OEM Sahara tires and other AT-like tire options. Rubicon is over kill and extra cost for your needs. We bought a TJ Sahara back in 2002 to get the rear Dana 44 before the Rubis came out.

3.73 gears will work better for towing and all around use with OEM diameter tires than the taller 3.21 gears. The limited slip differential will be more civilized on the road for you too.

As others mentioned, the Willys may be a nice edition for you too.

Finally, the Unlimited has a greater towing capacity than the 2-door Wranglers.

3rd vehicle around town = Sahara

Towing behind RV (for around town on road trips = Sahara

Towing an RV? = neither

Tires and shocks are really the only factors between the two with regards to ride quality.

If you're planning on even mild lift and tires ride quality is a non factor between the two.

If your planning on exploring trails = Rubicon.

Rubi has 4:1 transfer case and D44 front axle which is an excellent set up for most off roading short of extreme. Not necessary for a runabout or even mild to moderate trails.

Really the only downside to a Rubi is cost (individual choice) and the fact that the stock MT tires suck for a daily driver (maybe not an issue for a 3rd vehicle)

You recall the TJ being a rougher ride out of the gate? Rougher than what?

2 door JK's can still be a bit choppy due to the short wheelbase.

I daily drive a 4 door, ride is firm and truck like compared to luxury vehicles, but firm and confident compared to average vehicles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've never had a traction problem in bad weather. I drove all through 2-3 foot snow banks in our D.C. Area storm 2 winters ago with only the electronic "limited slip" working and it did fine. I see no need for mechanical limited slip for the street.
That's nice. I prefer traditional limited slip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CrazyMocha:

4JKUR37 pretty much covered it.

The 18" wheels on the Sahara will limit your tire options but for your intended use will be fine with the OEM Sahara tires and other AT-like tire options. Rubicon is over kill and extra cost for your needs. We bought a TJ Sahara back in 2002 to get the rear Dana 44 before the Rubis came out.

3.73 gears will work better for towing and all around use with OEM diameter tires than the taller 3.21 gears. The limited slip differential will be more civilized on the road for you too.

As others mentioned, the Willys may be a nice edition for you too.

Finally, the Unlimited has a greater towing capacity than the 2-door Wranglers.
Did I miss it where all wranglers don't have the 4:1 tcase?

The towing capacity increases by 75% from a 2 door to a 4door, at 2000lbs to 3500lbs.

If you do not need lockers there is no point to getting a rubicon, even so if you want to add them later you can.

Of the options presented: Sahara
Of the options available: Willys Wheeler.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You might check to make sure but I think the Sahara only comes with the break lock differential where the breaks keep the power going to the tires you want. I dont think they offer a true LSD anymore

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
All wranglers have the brake lock feature which is what I refer to as the electronic limited slip. It's cheesy but works. A wheel slips, the computer calls for the brake to be applied to that wheel so the other grabs. It works great for light throttle slippery conditions. Not good for full throttle because the brakes will overheat.

Only rubicon has the 4:1 low,range.

Still, why not a 24s package sport and save a ton of money?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Did I miss it where all wranglers don't have the 4:1 tcase?

The OP indicated primarily road and towing use. 4:1 xfr case true on Rubi - not needed for his use.

Reactions: jaysong

·
Registered
164 Posts
To expand on the above , the Sahara will ride smoother, but you should test drive both and decide which one suits your needs.
This is a Jeep we're talking about here. WTF do "Needs" have to do with anything? :)

Its about what you "Want" Bro. Its only money, you cant take it with you..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts