Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 JKU Backcountry that comes stock with Rubi rails. I've put mud flaps front and rear to try to reduce the amount of rocks blasting my door hinges and rear fender flares. I've had the Jeep since November and the hinges are sandblasted and rusting. The rear color matched fender flares are all pock marked and chipped up. I parked next to an older Sahara with stock steps the other day noticing he had no issues with rock damage.
The Sahara side steps seem like an easy, cheap solution. I don't rock crawl. I don't do narrow bush. I sort of want to preserve my $52000 vehicle at least till it's half paid off.
Is there a different solution that I should be considering?
Ace rock rails look appealing, but just being tubular, I'm not sure how much these would deflect rocks being spit up from the front tires. Plus they are a bit more of pain to source where I live.
Suggestions please.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the factory steps on my JKU and they do a decent job of helping to stop rocks from hitting my door hinges and rear fender flares. My JKU did not come with the steps from the factory but I bought them from another JKU owner who removed them.
A little harder getting in and out of the Wrangler since they stick out about 6" from the body though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I bought a 12"x24" sheet of 3M clear bar off Amazon and stuck it on the leading edge of my color fenders when I still had them. Helped a lot with chips.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I bought a 12"x24" sheet of 3M clear bar off Amazon and stuck it on the leading edge of my color fenders when I still had them. Helped a lot with chips.
Ditto . Did a crappy job though and need to redo. I'm surprised someone doesn't sell precut pieces for the wrangler fenders.

Probably could wrap the hinges as well.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Ditto . Did a crappy job though and need to redo. I'm surprised someone doesn't sell precut pieces for the wrangler fenders.

Probably could wrap the hinges as well.
These look pricey but are exactly what you're talking about. They have pre-cut pieces for most of the body.
WRANGLER UNLIMITED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts