Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Not very technical when it comes to drive train stuff, but I have a 2010 sahara unlimited with the 44 rear axel but not the front. A friend of mine owns a scrap yard and they just took in a 2010 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited that was writen off after severe rear end collison damage. He suggested that I would want some of the parts off the front end since it came out fairly untouched. Issues with using collision parts aside...is it just as easy as swapping front axels or is there a lot more involved? Let me know

:whistling:

·
Registered
142 Posts
dhamilton83 said:
Hey all,

Not very technical when it comes to drive train stuff, but I have a 2010 sahara unlimited with the 44 rear axel but not the front. A friend of mine owns a scrap yard and they just took in a 2010 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited that was writen off after severe rear end collison damage. He suggested that I would want some of the parts off the front end since it came out fairly untouched. Issues with using collision parts aside...is it just as easy as swapping front axels or is there a lot more involved? Let me know

:whistling:
If you could transplant the transfer case and front axle, that would be great.

Not sure if you'd have to do any modding to your rear axle (drilling) but if you could pull the Rubi's lockers and their control switch, that would be cool too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you're not technical, this is more work that you can get into. That being said, the transfer case, front axle (with lockers), and possibly even the front anti-sway bar are worth money. You might grab it and either pay someone with skills to upgrade your rig, or flip them to the Jeep community for a tidy profit.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You would need to either swap the rear axle as well or re-gear one of the axles. The rubi would have 4.10:1 differentials and yours would have 3.21:1 or 3.73:1 .... big problems if you put it in 4x4 with miss matched ratios

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
It is possible but as stated the Rubicon will have 4.10 gears while your Sahara won't. So you would need to regear one of the axles to match. Might as well regear the rear to match because the 4.10 gears would be better. The other great thing about the Rubi front axle is that it has lockers. You will need to have someone wire it to a toggle switch to make it available. If you can get the parts cheap it will be worth it. Might go ahead and get the disoconnects too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I replaced the D30 front end on my 09 Sahara with a D44 front end from a rubicon. No issues involved except that you do have to match the gearing in the back end (I wouldn't Change the front end gearing). If you can, be sure to get the plug for the elocker. You can run wiring and a switch pretty easily. The transfer case is your choice but not necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts