Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. This room looks a bit different from that one over there. Much more fancy discussion.

History first - my family has three vehicles. A 2011 Ford F-150 crew that's the wife/family vehicle (1 kid and her boyfriend,) a 2013 Dodge Dart Aero for my daughter and me occasionally (airport runs - I work at home, so I don't have a DD) and my 2000 Sahara TJ. The TJ is very road worthy, but more of a weekend warrior - 4-1/4" Rough Country combo lift, Currie AR sway bar, 33x12.5 super swampers, Warn PowerPlant HD, LED lighting, soon to be dressed in Metalcloak fenders and flares front and rear, you get the picture. She's my baby, my project, don't mind getting her down and dirty.

My Jeep sickness is viral, because on the way back from picking up a tow strap for my recovery bag yesterday, I found myself parked behind the desk of a sales guy at the local Jeep dealer running the numbers on a 2014 JKU Sahara and asking him to take my truck.

So, my question - the pull of the Rubi was strong. She was anvil, leather throughout, simply amazing. But after in-depth comparison,the only true tangible difference was the Rubi lockers and push button sway bar disconnects - oh, and the sticker across the hood. Are those three things TRULY worth the extra $3500? I really can't see it - I'll add my own discos when I'm finally brave enough to take a 35k ride off-road and I'll lock it as I want to later. Thoughts? Comparisons?

Side note - the "Dragon Edition" Sahara...they had three. What the actual hell was Jeep thinking there? Who on EARTH does that appeal to???

·
Registered
250 Posts
$3500 would get you an upgraded front axle, 4:1 transfer case, lockers, electronic discos, etc. I'll assume it was an auto - in which case the gears would be the same between the two. If you will take advantage of those things, it seems like a no brainer for $3500.

That said, plenty of guys get along just fine w/ the setup of a Sahara. It's no slouch.

·
Registered
413 Posts
$3500 would get you an upgraded front axle, 4:1 transfer case, lockers, electronic discos, etc. I'll assume it was an auto - in which case the gears would be the same between the two. If you will take advantage of those things, it seems like a no brainer for $3500. That said, plenty of guys get along just fine w/ the setup of a Sahara. It's no slouch.
This^^^
Sport's and Sahara's have a D35 axle up front and gearing up to 3:73. Rubi's have a D44 up front with 4:10's

I wanted leather and heated seats, and didn't want to drop much more for the fully loaded Rubicon with leather/heated seats. My next Jeep or the wife's will be a Rubicon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The new rubicons come with 3.73's. 4.10's are an option from the factory.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This^^^
Sport's and Sahara's have a D35 axle up front and gearing up to 3:73. Rubi's have a D44 up front with 4:10's

I wanted leather and heated seats, and didn't want to drop much more for the fully loaded Rubicon with leather/heated seats. My next Jeep or the wife's will be a Rubicon.
I thought it was d-30's up front.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Yes, it's a d30 up front and 3.73's. And it's an auto.

Sahara makes more sense to me right now. Doesn't seem like a slouch. Rubi desire is just me dreaming :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Even with a standard.. Had to make sure I told them to put 410s in mine.
With a standard transmission the Rubicon is supposed to have 4.10...if you paid extra for the 4.10 they took you for a ride. The automatic transmission Rubicon has 3.73 and you pay extra for the 4.10 gearing.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I got the most basic Sport model with hardtop 13 jku and if i chose Rubi model, i would ve paid $10,000 more. If your comparing Sahara with leather seats and all goodies and Rubi is only $3,500 more i would 100% get the Rubi.

As everyone said, in Rubi you are getting lower gears, Dana 44 up front, Lockers, Sway Bar Disco, 4:1 transfer case, Better tires, Stickers :)

With Rubi model as is you are all set for a moderate or high moderate off roader.

·
Registered
423 Posts
With a standard transmission the Rubicon is supposed to have 4.10...if you paid extra for the 4.10 they took you for a ride. The automatic transmission Rubicon has 3.73 and you pay extra for the 4.10 gearing.
The 3.73 was standard according to the dealer, didn't pay anything for the 4.10 but had to specify I wanted it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If the Rubicon and Sahara are basically identical from a shared options stand point, and the Rubi is $3500 more, I think it is reasonable that a Dana 44, front and rear lockers, and quick discos could be added for less than the difference with labor. It's whatever fits your needs.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
If the Rubicon and Sahara are basically identical from a shared options stand point, and the Rubi is $3500 more, I think it is reasonable that a Dana 44, front and rear lockers, and quick discos could be added for less than the difference with labor. It's whatever fits your needs.
Negative ghostrider. You're also forgetting the 4:1 transfer case, rock rails, and mud terrain tires.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Replacing the diff and TC in a Sahara with the same units as the Rubi will cost more than the $3500 and it is under full warranty. If you plan on replacing both diffs with a D60 then you are better with the Sport or Sahara and your driveline warranty will be void.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hmm. Be careful comparing two vehicles on the lot if what you are really trying to do is decide which model you want. The MSRP difference between the two is 3 grand, 35K for the Rubi and 32K for the Sahara. Add the $500 to get the 3.73's in the Sahara and you are looking at a $2500 difference.

For that $2500, you get everything already mentioned - front 44, lockers on both axles, 4:1 and much stronger transfer case, pretty darn good mud tires, and discos.

Now say you sell your Sahara in 5 years. How much do you think those mods (lockers, transfer case, discos) are going to add to its value? Very little. So you would eat the cost of those, whereas at least in the Rubi they are part of the model and you get some of it back at resale.

Short answer is, I think it is penny wise and pound foolish to buy a Wrangler and bring it "up to a Rubicon." OTOH, if you are going further than a Rubicon (Atlas, 60's, etc.) then it would be foolish to get a Rubicon.

To me, it sounds like you should get a Rubicon.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Short answer is, it is penny wise and pound foolish to buy a Wrangler and bring it "up to a Rubicon." OTOH, if you are going further than a Rubicon (Atlas, 60's, etc.) then it would be foolish to get a Rubicon.
Someone put this on auto quote for the next 300 "should I buy a Rubicon" threads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts