Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to jeeps and looking at a Sahara or Rubicon. Mainly for DD. My off road future is very limited, but like the Rubicon styling a bit more plus one in stock locally. My only issue is the ride. Drove both and found the Rubi to be more bouncy and tire noise due to the off road tires I assume. My wife is very sensitive to this due to some eye issues.

My question is will a tire change to an AT tire take care of the bounce as well as the road noise or just improve road noise? If I can get the "bounce" down a bit and get consistent feel for around town might get the Rubicon. I just can't confirm before the purchase, so thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome !

I would say if it is going to be a DD stick with the Sahara if you are sure you will not be wheeling much or at all. I say this for price wise. If you end up doing a little light wheeling the Sahara is more then capable you just wont have the option on lockers witch in turn is not needed for light wheeling. So help out your wallet and go for the Sahara. Just my .2 cents

·
Retired Moderator
100,623 Posts
Hi all. New to jeeps and looking at a Sahara or Rubicon. Mainly for DD. My off road future is very limited, but like the Rubicon styling a bit more plus one in stock locally. My only issue is the ride. Drove both and found the Rubi to be more bouncy and tire noise due to the off road tires I assume. My wife is very sensitive to this due to some eye issues.

My question is will a tire change to an AT tire take care of the bounce as well as the road noise or just improve road noise? If I can get the "bounce" down a bit and get consistent feel for around town might get the Rubicon. I just can't confirm before the purchase, so thoughts appreciated.
^^^:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

I have a 2013 JKR and do not have any bouncing issues. But my tires do make some noise.

So the bounce is probably a tire out of round issue. I would make the Dealer aware of the issue, so they can get it corrected! But yes, street type tires will always ride smoother, and definitely quieter!!!!!!!

As for ride quality, Sahara, verses Rubicon. If you put the same type tires on the Rubicon, that are standard on the Sahara, then the ride quality should be somewhat better on the Rubicon.
The reason for this is, because the Sahara has 18" wheels and the Rubicon has 17"s. With 17" you will have more sidewall, which will give you a improved ride!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The stock Rubicon tires are aggressive. My ride is smoother with my Duratracs but not night and day. Rubicons generally have different springs but I have no idea how different from the Sahara springs.

If your wife likes the ride of the Sahara, get the Sahara. If you like the Rubicon styling, I think you can order the black top and fenders on a Sahara. If you don't need the lockers and all that, the Sahara is the way to go. Perception often trumps reality. Don't buy something you or your wife aren't comfortable with. All Wranglers are capable machines.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can't tell the difference between a stock Rubi rolling on BFG's and a stock Sahara rolling on BFG's. If you wheel enough to actually use lockers and discos, buy the Rubi, and if you don't wade that deep into the hobby you could probably buy the Sahara and live a very full life. Either is probably enough vehicle to meet the needs of 90% of buyers.

Yes, proper tires for how and where you drive can go a long way towards changing the general feel and driving characteristics of a given vehicle.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Based upon your needs, especially taking into consideration what might be best for your wife, it seems like a Sahara would be the better choice.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2 cents.... We were looking at both rubi and Sahara... The rubi is nice as well as Sahara... But for the money you spend on the rubi you could buy the Sahara and put the same amount of money as the rubi upgrades and make it a hell of a rig... The downside of the Sahara for me was the 18" wheels... But besides that it's perfect... Plus keep the wife happy...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mud tires offer a louder and more uncomfortable ride on pavement

Mostly DD, and your wife has eye issues? Get the Sahara. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Or buy the rubi and slap some rancho 9000's on it and call it a day. lol decisions

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
My 2 cents.... We were looking at both rubi and Sahara... The rubi is nice as well as Sahara... But for the money you spend on the rubi you could buy the Sahara and put the same amount of money as the rubi upgrades and make it a hell of a rig... The downside of the Sahara for me was the 18" wheels... But besides that it's perfect... Plus keep the wife happy...

Exactly what I did. I wasn't going to use the lockers and 4:1 transfer case to justify the extra Rubi cost, so I got a Sahara and put on a set of Duratracs that ride nice and have great traction in just about all conditions, looks great and does exactly what I want it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
From a ride perspective, there are three, maybe four differences between the two models.

Rim size (17" vs 18")
Tires (MT's vs AT's)
Shocks (Heavy Duty vs Performance)
Possible springs (depending on what is installed)

Oddly enough, all of those items can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It all comes down to one simple phrase:
If Momma ain't happy, nobody's gonna be happy!"
Go with the Sahara, as a DD it's the way to go. Down the road anything on the Rubi can be installed on the Sahara.

topbanana
2015 Rubicon "BAJA" Edition

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have not rode in a NEW RUBI....I have ridden in our '14 POLAR Edition Sahara JKU...it rides "better" than our previous '14 JKU that was "totaled" in an accident. The POLAR also rides better than our '13 Chrysler 300. IDK for sure, but have "heard" (as mentioned above) the springs are not always the "same" as one would expect.

also 2dr and 4dr make a big difference.....

For the price difference in a Rubi and Sahara....it would allow a lot of suspension and tire upgrades........

·
Registered
141 Posts
Exactly what I did. I wasn't going to use the lockers and 4:1 transfer case to justify the extra Rubi cost, so I got a Sahara and put on a set of Duratracs that ride nice and have great traction in just about all conditions, looks great and does exactly what I want it to. Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same here as well. I was between a loaded 2015 JKU Sahara ($42k sticker) and a loaded JKU Rubicon ($48k sticker) - so a $6k difference before taxes. My use is more of a DD than a rock crawler, but I did like the more aggressive Rubicon look. So I got the Sahara and put $6k into mods that give it a much more aggressive look than a stock Rubi would have been and it's still a very comfortable DD -- plus it's fun to put your own touch on your ride.

Put $2.5k into new wheels and 33" tires. $2k into the MOPAR 2" lift (installed). And another $2k into AEV steel bumpers.

If you get the Sahara make sure to get 3.73 gears so you can add larger tires down the road if you choose to. The #1 regret I see here on the forum is people buying 3.21 gears.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't see any reason for them to be noticeably different on road. The Sahara does have an LSD, but I'm guessing you're not gonna drift your jeep.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts

Based on two things from above...get the Sahara. If not going off road much then don't waste money on Rubicon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started with a 2014 Sahara. I loved it. I had no intentions of off-roading but then got bit by the bug. After a year and a half I traded her for a 2015 Rubicon. I LOVE the Rubicon. But I love the sound and bounce of the Rubi tires. If you are for sure you will not go off-roading (maybe some light off roading) go for the Sahara. The price is a lot less. The extra cost of the Rubi is all in the off-roading package.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cool site!

I started with a 2014 Sahara. I loved it. I had no intentions of off-roading but then got bit by the bug. After a year and a half I traded her for a 2015 Rubicon. I LOVE the Rubicon. But I love the sound and bounce of the Rubi tires. If you are for sure you will not go off-roading (maybe some light off roading) go for the Sahara. The price is a lot less. The extra cost of the Rubi is all in the off-roading package.

Cool site jeepmomma!!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Welcome !

I would say if it is going to be a DD stick with the Sahara if you are sure you will not be wheeling much or at all. I say this for price wise. If you end up doing a little light wheeling the Sahara is more then capable you just wont have the option on lockers witch in turn is not needed for light wheeling. So help out your wallet and go for the Sahara. Just my .2 cents
Lockers are an option on the Sahara. But based on the OP's mission profile the LSD would more than likely be sufficient.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts