Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite thing about the YJ is that you never know if you need a standard or metric wrench.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
511 Posts
My favorite thing about the YJ is that you never know if you need a standard or metric wrench. :beerdrinking:
Yup lol

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I am used to it we had the same thing happen in the mid 70s with GM cars when they were changing over to metric half the bolts were SAE the other half metric. All the guys who worked at the Buick dealership were complaining they had to buy another tool set.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Don't forget all the torx heads. Metric, SAE, Torx……

"Uhhhh hey Bob, being that AMC is going out of business, we might as well use up whatever we have laying around!"

"Sounds good to me Jim. These Jeeps should only last a few years anyway before they rust out. Most likely none of the bolts will ever be touched before the vehicle is scrapped."

"Yeah bob, what junk we are selling to an unsuspecting public. Good thing we can rely on the Jeep name to sell these Junkers!"

"hahahhahaha!!!"

"Lets go have a beer"

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mowrangler, I have an '89 S10 that is the same way. You just never know which it will be.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Mowrangler, I have an '89 S10 that is the same way. You just never know which it will be.
Yea I know they are still that way my son has a 91 S-10. Back in the 70s no one had metric wrenches except the guys who worked on VWs and MGs. All the guys I worked with had to buy metric wrenches and sockets and a bigger tool box to put them in. I was just starting out so it was double hard on me.
Who ever invented Torx bolts should be shot.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yea I know they are still that way my son has a 91 S-10. Back in the 70s no one had metric wrenches except the guys who worked on VWs and MGs. All the guys I worked with had to buy metric wrenches and sockets and a bigger tool box to put them in. I was just starting out so it was double hard on me.
You forgot British Standard & Whitworth. Talk about a PITA!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You forgot British Standard & Whitworth. Talk about a PITA!
I didn't and still don't work on European cars. I can barely stand Asian cars, but half of the domestic cars have Asian parts and half the Asian cars are made in the US.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I didn't and still don't work on European cars. I can barely stand Asian cars, but half of the domestic cars have Asian parts and half the Asian cars are made in the US.
I was a European mechanic. I have a large toolbox full of metric sockets & wrenches along with a plethora of specialty metric wrenches. I bought this Junker, and found I didn't own a set of SAE 1/2" drive 6 points!! Oh well…I got to see the Snap-on man again. Yayyyyyy!

I think someone stole my whitworth stuff, 'cause I haven't seen it in years. Good!!!! The fewer Jag's, MG's & Triumphs I ever see again…the better!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I wonder if the tool companies had a hand in designing the YJ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm not sure which is worse Whitworth threads and wrenches or Lucas electronics.
Lucas electronics "The prince of darkness"

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wonder if the tool companies had a hand in designing the YJ?
Sounds like a conspiracy between auto makers and tool companies lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts