Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a ride in a '12 Rubicon and noticed a substantial reduction in ambient noise v. my '00 TJ. The owner said it was the sailcloth material but I have to wonder if it is also a change in aerodynamics/design.

If I replaced my stock soft top with an aftermarket sail cloth top, would there be a noticeable reduction in ambient noise?

Thanks in advance!

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I'm not sure if the original soft top material on a 2000 was sail cloth or not. I know my 99 wasn't. When I installed my Softopper (sail cloth) it was a drastic change in noise level. Nearly as quiet as a hard top.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i just ordered a Bestop Sailcloth for my 98 sport, not because of what it does to reduce noise, it's a jeep, i want the top down and a lot of wind and noise right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I go camping I'm usually on the highway to get there. My old top was worn out so I got a sailcloth to replace it. I can hear the radio when I'm on the highway. So I'm thrilled.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
The 2000 TJ didn't come with Sailcloth which wasn't introduced until the 2001 Wrangler came along. Bestop is the OE manufacturer of all Wrangler soft tops and they are also the manufacturer of Sailcloth. Installing a Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-Top will produce a noticeably quieter interior. I replaced my previous '97 TJ's noisy OE soft top with a slightly used Sailcloth top and it produced a dramatically quieter interior.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just put a new Bestop sailcloth top on my 2008 Jeep JK (which I believe has a sailcloth top stock) and the new one is still a noticeable improvement. Less wind noise and far less flapping.

PS; $100 rebate right now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just to comment on the aerodynamics of the TJ vs the JK. I am afraid the TJ is the winner. Having had both, and dealing with Kansas winds daily. The TJ is much more stable and penetrates the wind better than the JK. I suspect my removal of the JK's aerodam (faux skid plate) and the flanders on the JK were the culprit, that and it's larger flat plate area. It is a bigger vehicle, no way around it.

The sailcloth tops are indeed quieter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts