Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard that driving on sand dunes will damage the engine horribly? Yet I see videos of people doing it all the time, I would like to try it but with warnings like this is it worth it? Does anyone know the truth about driving in the sand?

Also what kind of dmg does the sand do?

:confused:

~Lev

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Sand just has a tendency to get into EVERYTHING! So if you have any leaks in your system anywhere that liquid gets out, sand will force its way in as well. If you are careful and have a good air filter, and don't have any leaks, you will be fine, especially every once in a while. Sand is just very abrasive, and metal parts don't like it very much!

·
Registered
585 Posts
the problem would arise if you got sand inside the engine. this sand would then make it's way to the cylinder bores and hang out on the piston rings. at this point the sand becomes sand paper for you cylinder bores. it then polishes the cylinders and your engine then begins to burn oil faster then gas.

just make sure you don't get sand inside the engine.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Remember playing in the sandbox at school and getting it down into places you know you didn't have? :D

Like they said, make sure your not leaking anything and replace your airfilter before and maybe even after playing in the sand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts