Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this? I have a 1995 wrangler YJ and it needs to be sanded down to be painted. I has been painted a few times by previous owners. White to light green to dark green. I was wondering if I could just sand it by hand (or hand held electrical sander) or buy a small scale sand blaster to sand it down.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I'd go with a sandblaster if I had the option. Just use your hand tools for hard to reach places.
Nonono, the whole purpose of sandblasting is to get to the hard to reach places. Personally id have the whole thing media blasted not sand blasted. They use walnut shells. Walnut shells means less heat which means no warping. A good blaster should easily be able to blast a jeep without effing it up. Just depends how much money vs. elbow grease your willing to do.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would personally sand if u like working on ur own jeep.. But sand blasting I wouldn't unless its tore up as in a lot of rust... U will have to use special material to make sure ur bondo if u need any and primer etc etc all sticks to the bare steel... Media blasting is much better and I think u can leave the window on it and will not get damaged but I am not sure double check tho

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yea but not fix just scuff is what I do everything under their gets covered... We would paint our Bradley's n some times do scuffing those things were a bitch!! Good thing the Army didn't care how the paint looked they would give us paint brushes...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Nonono, the whole purpose of sandblasting is to get to the hard to reach places. Personally id have the whole thing media blasted not sand blasted. They use walnut shells. Walnut shells means less heat which means no warping. A good blaster should easily be able to blast a jeep without effing it up. Just depends how much money vs. elbow grease your willing to do.
Never heard of media blasting except in regards to being strapped into a chair and forced to watch bad infomercials lol

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Soda Blasting Is the way to go. Basically baking soda and water. Designed to remove auto paint without any damage to body panels. Had my TR6 blasted to perfection by a mobil service.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Soda Blasting Is the way to go. Basically baking soda and water. Designed to remove auto paint without any damage to body panels. Had my TR6 blasted to perfection by a mobil service.
The only problem with soda blasting something is if its still together and the soda gets under hinges, bolts, etc. it will work itself out and contaminate the paint. Is why most people use walnut shells or plastic media.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts