Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked that I make a separate thread out of this, so here is the excerpt from my LJ build thread...

Finally got a chance to work on the OBA setup... I’m a huge fan of engine driven compressors for OBA, and have gone to great lengths in the past to develop mounting systems for them on a myriad of vehicles. With all of the available space in the TJ engine compartment this one was a comparative no brainer, although the mockup phase went through a few evolutions because one of my goals was to maintain the factory alternator bracket and auto tensioner for the serpentine belt. In addition to ensuring proper belt alignment and not overstressing any bearings, it also allows me to have all of the necessary parts on hand to remove the OBA compressor and revert back to the stock belt if necessary. From personal experience, if a compressor seizes or the clutch fails on the trail, it’s nice to be able to revert back to stock and get back to camp without causing undo damage to other parts. At any rate, here are some pics…

The bare 4.0L block and head, ready for some beer and tape measure designing:

Mocking up the final version of the bracket:

The bracket painted and installed:

Here you can see how my bracket simply relocates the factory alternator/tensioner bracket, and provides a mounting shelf for the OBA compressor:

Alternator, idler pulley, and compressor all mounted up:

Since I didn’t change the orientation of the alternator, the factory wiring hooks back up perfectly:

And here is the finished product. Plenty of room for the stock air box, perfect belt alignment and tension, and an endless supply of compressed air ready to go:

I’ll finish up the wiring and plumbing later this week.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Having installed a York F210 belt driven compressor on my previous TJ and missing it severely, that is SWEET. How are you forming the bracket? That looks like a commercial grade bracket, it looks great. I used a Kilby bracket for my OBA system and it was nice but very expensive.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Mine is also a York which as I understand it has the advantage of an oil sump on the compressor measured with a wire rod dip stick

When using the rotary compressor are you just adding grease inside like the write up in jp or using oil and a seperator

Why did you elect not to use a York compressor

Looks good and that bracket looks solid

On my York setup besides taking up the air box room it also makes the front spark plug difficult to reach unless you Unmount the compressor but wit a good irridum plug changes not needed much

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry... I'm ashamed to report however, the bracket isn't exactly commercial grade, or even that pretty :redface: It's just a couple sections of 1/4" angle iron glued together to catch the original head/block standoffs. The upper shelf is just cantilevered out with 1/4" flat bar glued to the upper section of angle iron, and the shelf itself is just 1/4" plate. The picture of it all painted black makes it look a lot slicker than it really is :whistling: Does it work? Absolutely, but it doesn't have anything on a Kilby bracket in terms of aesthetics.

As for Sanden vs. York, I actually prefer the Sanden. I can buy 709 Sandens for peanuts any day of the week, and at darn near any auto recycler in the country. I have run Sandens for years without failure by simply adding a squirt of WD-40 every few trips. I can't definitively say it will work for everybody, but it has worked for me.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Cool, it works! I'd spray it with nearly anything but WD40 though, that's technically classified as a solvent and not a lubricant. It's viscosity is so thin that it soon evaporates and leaves nothing behind.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Also surprised wd40 effective but if it has worked for you great

The magazine writeup in JP the slathered it inside with red grease a trick they claimed to have learned from low riders with air lifts

If you are at a you pull it and want to find high output York compressors which are rarely found on the current in yard big three cars look to the old volvos as they still usually a couple with the desirable York compressors

·
Registered
635 Posts
Great job, but I'm a little confused. You're converting the stock Sanden compressor to OBA but still retaining the a/c? I converted my Sanden explicitly to OBA about 2 years ago and its worked extremely well. But I'll be curious to see how you made it functional for both...

·
Registered
635 Posts
He added another identical compressor old one still exclusive for ac new one just to compress outside air
Gotcha; I must've missed that. I'll still enjoy the thread. I love the Sanden setup. I can air up my 35s from 6 to 36 psi in about 2 minutes each. Good luck with the project.

·
Retired Moderator
100,487 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts