Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on Long Island and needless to say my area got hit hard by Sandy. To compound the damage we took to our homes, the lack of power has left only a few gas stations operational, causing for a shortage of gas. This in turn is creating lines several miles long and hours of waiting to "possibly" get gas. If that weren't enough, we just caught some guys siphoning diesel gas from one of our trucks located in our private parking lot.

I'm mentioning this as a heads up to other Jeep owners in the area, pick up a gas cap lock ASAP. According to the trip computer I only have enough gas for 40 miles (hopefully enough to get me home 14 miles away). From there I have to either siphon gas from my wife's jeep or hope that more stations open up and now worry about getting a locking cap. :nonono:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Thats so f'd up. Sounds like someone needs a good "talking" to.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
isn't there a filter in the filling tube that stops a hose from entering the tank?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My JK has the fill so far, and with so many turns they aren't getting a hose in there. These days with plastic gas tanks, it easier to use a drill to drain the gas from the bottom. I have seen it done. Trucks are easy to stick a hose into, for home heating oil also. In PA we are allowed to protect ourselves by law, what about in NY?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hang in there bros, i feel bad for everyone up there.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
someone was shot in the head today for gas.

·
Registered
694 Posts
They need to ship in the fuel constantly. The President stopped by for a photo shoot, said some words then was off. What is being done to help you guys!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
They need to ship in the fuel constantly. The President stopped by for a photo shoot, said some words then was off. What is being done to help you guys!
The problem is most of the stations are down because they don't have power. They are already doing everything they can.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The problem is most of the stations are down because they don't have power. They are already doing everything they can.

What about the folks eating out of dumpsters? Are they now getting food, clothing, and shelter? I heard that the few stations that are open are running out of fuel, like I said they need to keep those last few tanks topped off. I don't think they are doing all they can when listening to the interviews from the families there. When people are killing each other over fuel, more needs to happen. They could set up temporary gererators at those other stations to help with the load. I am watching all the news channels, but the NYC Maraton and Presidental Race are getting most of the air time.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Shit, I took my Audi out of the garage and put my jeep in there. I don't know what I would do if I caught someone siphoning gas from my tank.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Locking gas cap is a waste. If looter really wants your fuel, they will just drill a hole in the plastic fuel tank. It is even easier on a Jeep or truck since they have plenty of ground clearance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You guys stay safe. I know that in New York usually the crooks have the guns and weapons not the homeowners. I see Bloomberg is using the police and getting ready for the marathon instead of helping the people of the city. What a leader!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Unless they drilled a hole in your tank there is no way they siphoned it. Go try siphoning gas out of your tank.

Can't do it on my TJ so I'd imagine its the same for a JK.

·
Registered
632 Posts
What happened to the guys you caught?

I just read that they are suspending the jones act so that should help with the supply.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Welcome to everyday in Iraq, kids.

No power? No water, plumbing, electricity? Hundreds of cars waiting for fuel, people getting into fist fights, thievery?

Yes, indeed...congratulations America, you've now managed to arrive at the third world.

Some folks say adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it...well, just think about what our country reveals every time we see a little adversity.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Obama went to NJ and met Christie. Bloomberg said no thank you we are too busy but endorsed him the next day for his handling of the situation.

Not a problem with the ships. NY's harbor had so much crap floating in it they had to clean up. Also, LI's pumping stations were either underwater or without power.

If it was only as simple as everyone makes it out to be. I think Obama and FEMA did more in the first day then BUsh and FEMA did in a week with Katrina.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts