Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Sirius radio about 9 months ago in the location shown in the photo below, using the adhesive back mount that was provided. Well, the adhesive tape failed & mount came off this weekend....so rather than trying to apply some more 2-sided tape and putting it back in the same place, I was thinking about a different/better location & a perhaps a more permanent mount for the dock.

I don't think that I want to use the window suction mount that came with the radio so, does anyone have any pictures or ideas for a sturdier mount and in a better location in their Jeeps? Any ideas that you have or have used would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine is in that spot. I like it there. But it is kind of low - it hits that elevated part of the dash around the instrument cluster.

I'm on my second radio in that spot. The first mount stuck too well - it wouldn't come off. I covered the old mount with an ABS endcap and some silicon from Lowes and next radio sat a little higher - much better.

Or, you could install a full cage, through the dash. Then use a roll bar mount ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I need to take a pic but I screwed it on the top frame of the windshield. I don't remember what I removed but I didn't make any holes, easy to see while driving, and stayed out of the sun/sight from outside.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mounted mine on the windshield just above the coin tray. Easily accessible and it's out of the way. No issues with it coming off so far and it's out far enough from the heater that it doesn't get warm

·
Registered
721 Posts
The way you have it mounted there, it looks a lot like those CB radio mounts that go right in that corner. Might be possible to use one of those brackets?

I'm actually more curious where you wound up installing your antenna :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I removed my xm and put it for my phone BUT this is exactly where my xm radio was. I just bend a L bracket and made some hole in the bracket to match the hole in the frame and a hole for the xm bracket.

·
Registered
15,666 Posts
If you can go with a stock oval face radio they control the factory Sirius module and the module ticks out of site

Unfortunately only an RB1 radio will display artist and song name with the factory module

Tip if you can find a 2003 dream cruiser edition of the PT cruiser they all came with a lifetime activated module

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have mine here no issues so far, just have to clean up and hide wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was definitely considering that location.....

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The way you have it mounted there, it looks a lot like those CB radio mounts that go right in that corner. Might be possible to use one of those brackets?

I'm actually more curious where you wound up installing your antenna :)
I ran the antenna wiring under the driver's side door, up and inside the roll bar padding, and have the magnet antenna on the top of the roll bar above my head (also under the padding). I had read several threads here from those who have done this, and this location works for me also...

Good luck!

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed my xm and put it for my phone BUT this is exactly where my xm radio was. I just bend a L bracket and made some hole in the bracket to match the hole in the frame and a hole for the xm bracket.

That is a spot that I really would like to use, but I have a SkyPod & speakers mounted up there.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts