Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing my water pump and wouldn't you know it the top bolt snapped off! MF! :banghead::banghead::banghead: Now I've got a bolt head, water pump still on and no beer.

Any suggestions to get the rest of the bolt out?? Drill it? I don't have any welding tools.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You will need a bolt/screw extractor set and a drill. There are a few extractor types out there but for your issue a screw type like one sold by Sears is what you want for your first choice.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You will need a bolt/screw extractor set and a drill. There are a few extractor types out there but for your issue a screw type like one sold by Sears is what you want for your first choice.
X2

"Easy Out" is the worst name for these tools because this job will be anything but easy. Get a GOOD set like the Sears one mentioned. The cheap ones will barely drill into the old bolt and the extractor will probably snap. Soak that bolt in PB Blaster and start with the smallest drill bit to drill a hole into the bolt head. Most of all be PATIENT. If you rush, push, or bend on the drill at all you will snap the bit off where you were drilling and then you are REALLY screwed. If you haven't ever used Easy Outs or extractor sets you may want to search youtube for a video just to see them at work. Good luck!

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Yes if you can take the whole pump off you can get to the shaft of the bolt. Vise grips will help get this off along with grinding down a couple sides to give you something to grip on. Remember to use anti-seize on those bolts when you put them all back together. If you do go the EZ-out route start with a small bit and work it up to the correct size for the EZ-out. It will take a lot of time, but will be worth it. If you snap a bit off in there it will be next to impossible to get it out as the drill bit is a lot harder steel than the bolt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Drill slowly! Very important! If you run your drill wide open you can heat up the area and actually harden the bolt (work hardening) to the point that the next bit will just burn itself up. I have removed many bolts on customers vehicles at work after they tried to do it themselves. When asked, nearly every one of them said they ran their drill on high like they normally do. Hopefully the extractor works out for you.As mentioned above an easy out is anything but easy most of the time.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I get the extractor in and proceed to break the tool that is designed to go on the end of the extractor to turn it, then destroy the treads on my craftsman heavy vice grips. The bolt did not budge. I call up my uncle who was a mechanic and owned an auto parts store for 35 years. He tells me to hit the pump really hard with a hammer and just knock it off and the bolt will remain. After a a big swig of 15 year old scotch to steady my nerves I grab the 1 pound sledge and in two whacks the pump comes off leaving me the bolt in the water jacket. He was right!!!

I was then able to grab the bolt and screw it out after a bit of pb blaster.

I took everyones advice and didn't put any silicone on the gasket but I'm concerned because the gasket didn't look like it had the "built in silicone bead" like some said. Am I still OK?

Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
So I get the extractor in and proceed to break the tool that is designed to go on the end of the extractor to turn it, then destroy the treads on my craftsman heavy vice grips. The bolt did not budge. I call up my uncle who was a mechanic and owned an auto parts store for 35 years. He tells me to hit the pump really hard with a hammer and just knock it off and the bolt will remain. After a a big swig of 15 year old scotch to steady my nerves I grab the 1 pound sledge and in two whacks the pump comes off leaving me the bolt in the water jacket. He was right!!!

I took everyones advice and didn't put any silicone on the gasket but I'm concerned because the gasket didn't look like it had the "built in silicone bead" like some said. Am I still OK?

If there is ever any shank left on the bolt, that's always the first route I take. Those "easy-outs" snap off more often than not. Glad you got it out, I'm sure you breathed a big sigh of relief.

As for the gasket, I've never had a water pump gasket on my Jeep that had any "built-in" silicone on it when I've replaced mine. If they did, I haven't noticed or didn't know what I was looking at (wouldn't be the first time). I just use the regular paper gasket. I would think you should be fine with what you have.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Ah yet again, a BFH comes to the rescue :punk:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thats a very good trick and alot of people dont know about it.. the first time i heard about that i never thought it would work...
Heat ALWAYS has worked when bolts, etc. do not come out....but....I never heard of the candle thing before! What color/fragrance works best? :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.