Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a question for you. I updated the radio and speakers in my LJ Wrangler and have the old stuff sitting on the bench yet. Is there any value in keeping the original system around to have with the Jeep?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Probably not worth hanging on to it for the sake of keeping an original part with your Jeep, just in case the next owner (if you ever sell in the first place) prefers to have an original stock radio.

Many people out there do want a stock radio to replace one that crapped out on them, because they still want the factory unit. If it is in good condition, you can get a few bucks for it listing on the Wrangler Forum or Ebay.

Convert it into some cash by selling... or just give it away to a fellow Jeeper in need. Not worth having it take up space in the house.
Hanging on to it won't add any future resale value.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Depends on module
If was one of the rare oval face RAH or a nav RB1 or a DVD REV it is valuable
If a RBU or RBP it is of some value
If any other oval face including RAZ or RBQ minimal if any value and RBK is throw away

If the front speakers have the plastic pods they have some value

Stock radios look better are easier to control and with Sirius module and uconnect hands free module are pretty desirable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
A very wise man I used to know who spent his entire working life in the car business had a saying, "Only buy whole cars." He would explain that the old radio or piece of trim that you think is worthless can be quite expensive to locate and replace if or when a vehicle needs to be reconditioned for sale or restored. Sometimes expensive enough to suck the profit out of a deal.

Aftermarket radios can be a sound upgrade but downgrade in vehicle fair market value at the same time. What you think is a great system can be perceived as a hack job by a potential buyer. Best to have that factory radio in a box in case a buyer is thinking of returning to stock.

If you have the space, put all the takeoffs in a box, store the box in your garage, and give it to whoever acquires the vehicle from you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All very good points thank you...I think I'll set it aside for now and hang on to it

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW. I am one of those that prefers the stock radio. Less likely to be a tempting target for the ne'er-do-wells. Years ago I made a modification tapping into the CD changer plug to be able to hook up external devices like my iPhone. I also like the stock look.

Like all things Digital and electronic, the new SuperDuper Six Nine Thousand Extra Audio system will be another closet candidate in a few years. And the jeep is not really much of a concert auditorium in the first place.

On the other hand, here is a NOS MOPAR stock radio on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-02-06-...ash=item3b38f7e7f4:g:B7QAAOSwYBVde~p6&vxp=mtr

$49.00 delivered

·
Registered
122 Posts
FWIW. I am one of those that prefers the stock radio. Less likely to be a tempting target for the ne'er-do-wells. Years ago I made a modification tapping into the CD changer plug to be able to hook up external devices like my iPhone. I also like the stock look.

Like all things Digital and electronic, the new SuperDuper Six Nine Thousand Extra Audio system will be another closet candidate in a few years. And the jeep is not really much of a concert auditorium in the first place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-02-06-...ash=item3b38f7e7f4:g:B7QAAOSwYBVde~p6&vxp=mtr

$49.00 delivered
I just bought that unit....thanks for the link!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
FWIW. I am one of those that prefers the stock radio. Less likely to be a tempting target for the ne'er-do-wells.
That's why I put 8 track tape players in all of my Jeeps. I also leave an unwound Quiet Riot tape in there.:)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Any of the radios I mentioned are $16 out the door at you pull it

I have seen RB1 is both 04-05 PT cruiser and 05-07 minivans
REV is a rare find but occasionally in 05-07 mini vans and still just $15 but that is with my 10% vet discount so you price might be more like $18

·
Registered
876 Posts
It doesn't take up much room so I put stuff like that in a plastic tub labeled "Jeep" and put it up on a shelf in the garage. Someone down the road may want it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, keep it. Im and original type of guy. I like OEM stuff on what I have, so if I were to buy your jeep it would add value. Alot of folks dont give a flip but some do.

My friend has a nicely restored scout. Someone hack sawed the metal dash to get an aftermartket radio in. Just awful.

·
Registered
122 Posts

$49.00 delivered
I bought the radio in the link above, but I might have jumped to fast. The ad title says it is for ‘02-‘06 TJ, but I researched the part number (P56038588AL) and every source I checked says it doesn’t fit my Jeep.

It was only $50, so not a huge deal. Am I right in thinking it won’t fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Oval radios only fit in 03-06 TJ
The center bezel changed in 03
Before that the hole is more rectangular and you have to grind/cut away plastic to fix an oval face radio in a 98-2002 TJ

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oval radios only fit in 03-06 TJ
The center bezel changed in 03
Before that the hole is more rectangular and you have to grind/cut away plastic to fix an oval face radio in a 98-2002 TJ

Thanks for the reply. So, is the one I bought an “oval” radio?

I should have mentioned in my post that I have an ‘06.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought the radio in the link above, but I might have jumped to fast. The ad title says it is for ‘02-‘06 TJ, but I researched the part number (P56038588AL) and every source I checked says it doesn’t fit my Jeep.

It was only $50, so not a huge deal. Am I right in thinking it won’t fit?

Thanks
Sorry to hear that. I wasn't trying to sell a radio, just trying to show what they go for.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yes that's an 03-06 oval face...
Email the seller and ask them to cancel the auction because it was incorrectly stated to fit your 02...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have an ‘06, not an ‘02.
Well in that case you're good to go...

I assumed you had an 02 because you sounded concerned that it said 02-06 instead of 03-06...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts