Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching motor mount lifts for a while and from what I have gathered, the consensus seems to be that keeping the OEM motor mounts with 1" spacers is the way to go... Something about noticeable increase in body vibrations from the stiffer bushings in the aftermarket mounts. Indeed, Savvy Offroad goes this route with their MML kit for $85:

Savvy 1" Motor Mount Lift TJ/LJ

Also, Rough Country does the same thing for $55:

Jeep Accessories - Motor Mount Lift

Now, I am not trying to pit the reputation of one against the other. I know Savvy is very well regarded around here for their excellent products and I know Rough Country has taken some knocks from a few in regards to their build quality. My question is, does anyone run the Savvy or the RC MML kits and can you share your experience with your kit? They are so similar in concept, and I am trying to figure out why one would merit $30 more than the other.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
between those lifts...and all others that use spacers...gonna be basically the same. I have a zone 1" mml on mine

The only difference in mml vs the ones listed above are brown dog...and if you have the spare funds, pick them up...if not, just go with a 50 dollar spacer and call it a day

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
between those lifts...and all others that use spacers...gonna be basically the same. I have a zone 1" mml on mine

The only difference in mml vs the ones listed above are brown dog...and if you have the spare funds, pick them up...if not, just go with a 50 dollar spacer and call it a day
From what I have read Brown Dog, M.O.R.E. and other similar aftermarket 1" MML's use polyurethane bushings which are stiffer than the stock rubber mounts. The result is that they vibrate the Jeep more at idle. I know a lot of people who have them and don't mind that, in fact, you can argue that the stiffer engine setup is better at preventing the dreaded header cracks. But I know the added rattling would bug me.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
If, you plan on the Savvy UA down the road, you will need to buy their MML. It is part of their their overall system.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If, you plan on the Savvy UA down the road, you will need to buy their MML. It is part of their their overall system.
Yeah, they have the one for the UA skid which is $100

And then the "regular" one which is $85

Although in the pictures, they look identical.

I love their UA kit. Blaine did a great job designing it.

I am actually planning on fabricating something with the same idea of a separate crossmember and skid plate. Hence the shopping around for a 1" MML.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You can also get the brown dogs in regular rubber.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you are capable of fabricating your own UA setup then why not make your own MML spacers? That's what I did.
1.5" x 3" heavy wall box tubing and grade * bolts from Lowes and I had a 1.5" MML for a total of $10 :)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Yeah, they have the one for the UA skid which is $100

And then the "regular" one which is $85

Although in the pictures, they look identical..........
If, you can fabricate then you're good to go. The only difference between the two MMLs is two holes drilled and tapped on the forward edge of each one. To us non fabricators, $15 isn't bad. I paid a machine shop $20 to drill a hole in two bolts 3 yrs ago.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are capable of fabricating your own UA setup then why not make your own MML spacers? That's what I did.
1.5" x 3" heavy wall box tubing and grade * bolts from Lowes and I had a 1.5" MML for a total of $10 :)
It does look doable. Although I would have to limit the MML to 1". I only have a 1" body lift and things are pretty tight under the hood because I run a highline kit. Also, I wanted to use 1" 6061 aluminum blocks, but the smallest order I can find is 2' which runs around $20. After shipping it comes to $30. At that price, I thought it would be worth my time to order a fabricated $54 set from Rough Country or Zone.

However, I was also going to replace my stock mounts (They are the originals, twelve years old, rubber is worn) with another set of OEM mounts and add the spacers. The stock mounts run about $60 each shipped. Brown Dog makes a 1" MML kit with rubber bushings that dampen engine vibrations similarly to the stock mounts for $104. I am probably going to go ahead and go that route. Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
This is pretty much my thoughts on the matter. If you're going to fabricate something like the UA I would think the MML should be child's play.

I'd imagine Savvy's is much more expensive because it's made out of aluminum. Look at the prices for that type of aluminum and you'll see why most anything made of it is quite expensive. Also, the pictures on-line look the same, but in person the non-UA version is a bit different in that it doesn't have the bolt holes for the UA as mentioned earlier. They just used the same picture for both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts