Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed (sorry for the second thread today). A little more trouble than I was expecting, but every Jeep project I undertake is.

Everything’s back together; the shift lever easily goes through 2hi, 4hi, n, and 4lo. The indicator on the dash matches the lever in both 4WD positions and turns off when it’s in 2hi.

However, it feels like I’m stuck in 4WD. The front wheels are kind of skippy around turns. I’m wondering if the cable is a little too long to allow 2WD to engage...and I’m really hoping I can get to it without dropping the skid plate again. I’m too tired to check today.

Any advice from someone who’s done this upgrade?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You should be able to adjust it without pulling things apart. I thought I had mine set up right in my garage, shifted thru everything smoothly, then when I got out on a trail it would pop out of 4lo. A quick adjustment on the trail and it was all set after that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I installed mine, i had all 4 wheels in the air because I was doing other jobs at the same time. How i checked if it was working properly is I started in 2wd and put transmission in neutral. I spun one of the rear wheels by hand and only that wheel was spinning. Then I switched to 4Hi and spun one of the rear wheels by hand, one of the front wheels spun too. Put it in neutral and did the same thing. only the one wheel I spin by hand is spinning but it also feels like there's less resistance when spinning. Spinning a rear wheel in 4Lo results the same as 4Hi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I think I’ve got it working. It felt like the Jeep was stuck in 4WD (front wheels kind of jumpy going around turns), but when I got it up on jack stands, everything was working. I’m guessing I need to test it off-road and not on my street.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts