Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 65,000 miles (not a typo), at least two repairs and one catastrophic blow out, I’m bidding adieu to my Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx. They saw me through a lot of life - two cross country moves, the birth of two kids, and some truly heinous commutes...yes, commutes. Plenty of times since I bought them, there were no roads to take me where I needed to go, or roads that were covered with snow, ice, mud, debris and water. I love four wheeling, but this was real world and the Jeep (and the Coopers) were there for me when it counted.

Th fine people as Discount Tire are crediting my recently destroyed tire towards the purchase of my next five. I’m always happy to do business with them - great prices and service. I’ll be going to a Ridge Grappler this time around - they’ve intrigued me since their introduction. Like the S/T Maxx, they’re available in the sizes that interest me and I’m stepping up to 285x75R17 this time around. Unlike the Coopers, you can get them in something other than an E sidewall. Because I’m a sucker for an insignificant discount, the fact that the Coopers increased in price by 60 dollars a tire this week and the sidewall choice swung me to Nitto this time around.

Happy Wheeling!

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
I run the ST/Maxx in 285/75-17's which I think is a great size for a rig that is going to see offroad and city driving. You have confirmed my biggest gripe...they last too long. Mine have 13-14,000 miles on them and they look brand new....I hate that. I think great tires should wear out say in 35-40,000 miles....be interesting to see how you like the Nitto rgs in comparison. certainly similar tread so should be good too. I am going back and forth on getting a set of the ridge grapplers in 255/80-17 to mount on my stock rims that are just collecting dust.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
My ST Maxx were wearing like iron. I chunked them a bit, but wasn't a problem. Great tire... Rode pretty stiff, but never worried about a puncture.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it’s worth noting that I still have some tread left...that is to say, I’m not down to the wear bars yet. I’ll make sure I check depth when I replace them. Honestly, this was an opportune time since I could get one tire of credit applied to a new set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts