Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have stock axles with stock gearing while running 35s...im really looking to see if i can get better gearing for driving around as it is my DD. I know i should probably get rid of the d35 but i just dont have the time or money to do all that now

Any help would be great!
And its a th350 auto trans

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
what gears are you running now? In most case 35's go well with 4.56 to 4.88s for the stock engines.. also the cost to rear gear might not be that much less than to also do a axle swap in the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ever thought about just finding a 700r4? It would get you a better first gear while adding overdrive.

But to your original question, I have a K10 with 35's, th350, and a sbc with 4.10 gears. I had 3.55 gears before and it just didn't make the power I wanted. But with a light jeep that probably wouldn't be a problem. You should figure out what you have and go from there.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
4.56 would pull very good out of the hole but it will turn more r's than I like on the road..I would go with a 4.10..with all the power you have even a 3.73 would work for me..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
SBCwranglerYJ said:
Whatever came stock in a 1990 yj, i havent touched them at all haha
Before the motor swap was it 6 or 4 cylinder? Auto or manual? As far as I can can remember the th350 is a 3 speed and that is not what you probably want for a dd. Someone else said maybe use a 700r4 and I would aggree. With that being said I would suggest 3.73 gears. If you already have the 4.10's from a 4 cyl. Then you need the 4 speed tranny (700r4)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Before the motor swap was it 6 or 4 cylinder? Auto or manual? As far as I can can remember the th350 is a 3 speed and that is not what you probably want for a dd. Someone else said maybe use a 700r4 and I would aggree. With that being said I would suggest 3.73 gears. If you already have the 4.10's from a 4 cyl. Then you need the 4 speed tranny (700r4)
you may be right..I have had good luck with 700r4's in chevys but they had close to stock tires so I don't know how they hold up with bigger rubber..I do know that 350 and 400 turbos are pretty tough so I was thinking that with as much power as he has he could run a little taller gears and be ok..I had a military chevy with diesel,400 turbo and 4.56 gears pulling 36 inch military tires..it would pull a mountain but turned more r's than I liked at highway speeds..my 91 yj is 6 cyl.,auto,3.55's with 33 inch tires..it pulls plenty strong for me and at highway speed is turning low r's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts