Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a YJ with a SBC 400 and bunch of other stuff.

The engine has under 1k miles.

When cold I get 50psi at idle, which I am fine with. Once it get's warm Oil press goes to 70-80psi at Idle in park or neutral in drive I see 80-90 or even 100psi. When start going it drops down to 65-75psi never really higher.

Also hearing a ticking almost like lifters chattering, only when PSI is 75+ and only when warm.

This is my first SBC but 75+ doesn't seem right.

Im really hoping its not a spun cam bearing, but if anyone has any advice or have had the same thing happen... what you think?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Uh, what the what? Are you using a mechanical gauge that you know is good? Oil pressure doesn't increase as it warms up, it decreases. So if you're really seeing higher oil pressure with warm/hot oil than you are with cold then you've got some issue(s). What that issue is, I don't know, but your oil pressure is violating the laws of physics.

Good luck, wish I could be more help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it is electric, currently. Tomorrow I will pull my mechanical gauge off my car.

That's why I was hoping it's not a spun bearing.

But once it goes sky high I hear ticking that is only present after warm and high pressure for a period of time. Then like tonight it dropped back to 55ish at idle and I let it idle for 20min and the ticking went away. Sucks I wish it was the gauge but this is making me think there's more to it

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ok, cool, yeah let us know what the pressures are with the mechanical gauge. How frequent is the ticking at idle? If it sounds like lifters ticking then I doubt it's a spun bearing as those are usually more of a knock with less frequency than lifters. With so few miles on it and the lifter-like noise I would be more inclined to think improper valve adjustment post-breakin or the use of a non-hardened cam that wasn't properly broken in.

Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'd also suggest draining the oil as well as removing the oil filter and cutting it open to look for shiny, metallic oil that would indicate improper cam break-in. Any chance of a warranty from whoever did the rebuild?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed oil, and nothing in it or stuck to magnet.

Ive been reading so much, I thought I read somewhere about a spun cam bearing causing high oil press, and lack of oil to lifters. I could be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts