Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2008 JKU in Rescue Green that I had started to build up. Teraflex coil lift 33s etc. I figured if I wanted to keep the build a long time, I might want to start with a better drivetrain. I traded it in on a 16 JKU Sport in Tank.

I really only wanted a base model sport to build up but found a great deal on this one. I negotiated to keep a few items off my trade in, since the stock wheels are pretty bad. I've also kept my headlights and grill.

The first morning after taking ownership.

I had to go back another day to have the dealer swap my tires and wheels back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I couldn't wait to get my old wheels and 33" Duratracs back on.

Then I swapped over my LED headlights

On my previous Jeep I had a custom grill made by Itchy Pig Creations. It's a vinyl decal on top of a JKU grill.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a deal on a set of Rubi rails.

I guess not having a hardtop anymore made me miss the rear hatch. I didn't want to give up the ease of a soft top so I bought the Bestop Hybrid Trektop. I had the rear wiper wiring installed then I hooked up the wiper.

Next up is thanks to Allen Offroad. They were running a sale on flat fenders. I don't plan on lifting at the moment, so I decided to purchase the DV8 fenders.

My brother in law got me some taillight guards to match the front of the Jeep.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So as of right now this is how the Jeep sits. Any suggestions of mods would be great. I'm not planning on lifting until I move to 35" tires, since I plan on doing everything right the first time. I am looking at the Rock Krawler 2.5" lift.

I'm also looking to add a Hard Rock Hood at some point as well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to order similar tail light covers but are they legal in NC? that was my only hesitation due to legality

I'm pretty sure they are legal. I live in South Carolina, but work in Charlotte, so I don't have to worry about inspections. They still allow a lot of light to pass through, so I'm sure you'd be fine.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been pretty busy recently, so I haven't had a chance to update my build thread. The Jeep has had some significant changes over the past few weeks. I still have one more major item to get done.

So to catch things up, I saw on Craigslist that a Rugged Ridge XHD bumper was being sold by the local Jeep dealership. It was brand new and hanging as a display. I bought it and installed it that night. The install was pretty difficult to do on your own. Apparently you need pretty small hands to get the bolt plates started. I ended up asking my wife for help, and together we got it installed. My wife isn't one to get her hands dirty, so it was funny that I got her to help.

I had wanted something to make the JKU sound a bit meaner. I'm a member of Jeepers United here in Charlotte, so one the members found someone selling a new catback exhaust made by AFE. I happened to be in the area of the person selling it, so I bought it for $300.

After having the flat fenders installed, I realized that I needed bigger tires. A nice bonus check from work helped as well. I ended up with 35'' BFG K02s. I'm about two weeks away from getting 4.10 gears installed.

I don't plan on lifting my Jeep anytime soon, so I decided to upgrade my shocks to offset some of the firm ride that my 35" tires added. I went with Rancho 9000xl shocks. I bought them specifically from the advice i've read on this forum. I can say that anyone who suggested them were right. They are a great riding shock.

So after all of these mods to my Jeep, my wife shocked me by saying she wanted a wrangler. So, the search began to find her a Wrangler. She had a pretty specific list of options she wanted, and a new JKU just wasn't in the budget. After some patience of waiting around, we found a 2015 Sport Unlimited with only 18k miles. The 33" duratracs I had taken off my Jeep, went on her Jeep.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While searching for my wife's wrangler. I did come across my old JKU sitting behind the local Jeep dealer. The sales guy said it was probably waiting on service. I can't believe the new owner didn't upgrade the wheels and tires yet. Those wheels and tires came on my current Jeep.

So other than the 4.10 gears being installed in a couple weeks, the budget has run dry for my JKU. Time to start building on my wife's JKU. I've already added pink grill inserts, tail light guards, hood desnubber and grab handle, and Truck Lite headlights.

Also, If anyone is headed to Bantam this year let me know! My wife and I just booked our hotel in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi there! Where in SC are you? My husband and I are going to Bantam this year as well and in the Charleston area. We're only taking his Jeep (he has jku Rubicon mine is 2dr sport) we'll be making a trip to Windrock in TN first then heading up. Signed up for night Ops, mystery trail, parade, etc.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there! Where in SC are you? My husband and I are going to Bantam this year as well and in the Charleston area. We're only taking his Jeep (he has jku Rubicon mine is 2dr sport) we'll be making a trip to Windrock in TN first then heading up. Signed up for night Ops, mystery trail, parade, etc.

I am near Rock Hill SC, but just south of Charlotte, NC. We travel to Myrtle Beach once every so often though.

My wife is from Pittsburgh which is only an hour away from Bantam, so we are only going up to the festival on Saturday. We will spend the rest of the time in Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nice! Well if you see a Mango Tango Rubicon with SC plates that's likely us! Hope to see you there or at gulches sometime!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
No gear expert here at all so take this for what it is worth(practically nothing) but if you are doing gears and 35's you may want to go to 4.56's if you haven't already purchased them.

That is my plan, and they seem to be the consensus pick with 35" tires.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Great transformation! The Stars and Bars grill rocks! :punk: I tend to agree with SoDakSooner. You'll be pleased with the 4.10 it's what's in Rubicons. I think the transfer-case may have a different gear ratio in the rubi's than the Sports.... MUCH BETTER than what your running. I did a 4.88 swap and consider it my favorite mod. I do a lot of towing and the swap fit my needs. If you get a chance to drive a 4.56 or a 4.88. It really is a HUGE difference in comparison to the 4.10.

Can't wait to see what's next.
See you around,
Jase

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I debated between 4.10s and 4.56 a lot.. There's not much difference between the two and since I have a very long commute daily I went with 4.10s.

I've had the 35s on for a few weeks now and I'll say it's not that bad with stock gears. I'm actually getting 19 mpg, which is unheard of. I typically don't accelerate over 2500 RPMs which might be way. I've manually calculated it to double check.

·
Registered
416 Posts
@Tara11 Are you guys staying in Butler? We are staying in GreenTree as that was the closest we could find. Hope to see y'all there.
I'm pretty sure the hotel is in Butler. We booked in February when we signed up for bantam. If it's not in Butler it's right outside. Looking forward to it. We've never been to Bantam or that area!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
4.10 gears are in and just flushed the gear oil in both differentials since I hit 500 miles. The rear gear fluid was as expected, which was a bit cloudy. The front oil was almost clean. I used 85-104 Lucas gear oil as directed by the guy who did my gears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts