Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to find scale models of any vehicles I have that I like. Meng makes a great 10th Anniversary 2 Door JK model. It's high quality and a perfect match for mine... except the color. I want to repaint it in Billet Silver but haven't found a good way to do it.

I'm fairly new to models but have read enough to know that I'd prefer to not use Mopar spray paint on plastic.

I do have an airbrush, just need to find a metallic silver paint that is a reasonably close match.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Tamiya Silver Leaf, over Tamiya Fine Surface Primer may get you close. Clearcoat with Tamiya clear. Those are synthetic lacquers, but are safe over most kinds of model kit plastics. They are great hobby paints, too- they lay down nice and thin, level out nicely.

I suppose if you did want to use authentic Mopar Billet Silver, you could shoot Duplicolor or Plasticote lacquer primer over kit sprue to test it (light coats). If it holds up to the automotive primer, let the primer gas out for a few days on your model body, and airbrush the Mopar paint over top in light coats. Clear with your favorite automotive clear, or you can use Testors Wet Look clear (also great stuff, and won't affect the automotive paint).

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

The Fine Surface Primer is the most expensive part of this equation- if Hobby Lobby is still open near you, they carry the primer in white, and you can use their 40% off coupon.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

^^ while not a Jeep model, this is Duplicolor Nissan Cherry Red Pearl automotive lacquer over Plasticote automotive primer on top of bare styrene (Revell).

I haven't played with any Meng styrene, which is why careful testing is recommended before spraying out your color coat. That Tamiya primer will withstand some automotive lacquers, and may be a suitable primer under actual Mopar touch up paint.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some good info, thank you. I would like to find something with metal flake, so might try primer on the sprue then actual Mopar paint... not sure yet. I've seen a few suggestions along those lines in my digging.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've had good luck with createx through the airbrush on my crawlers. But that's on lexan from underneath. Not sure about abrasion resistance on the exterior. They have a ton of color options and its dirt cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts