Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!!! I need a scanner for my 93 yj, does anyone got one before and could send me the spexs for the scan, and thanks in advance

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought i can buy an obd1 cause i read somewhere that obd2 is used for 96 and above!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;)

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3140-Diagnostic-Scanner-Vehicles/dp/B000R3SNJU

They're pretty good.

FWIW, the 2013 mandate states all public utilities and businesses in uhf vhf bands must operate on a "narrow band" of 12.5, currently they are 25. This refers to the spectrum of efficiency that the signal "sways" over. Starting 1/1/97 all equipment (transceivers) to be fcc certified had to have an operable mode compliant with 12.5. Most scanner companies caught on, and made freq scan at 12.5 steps possible about 5 years ago. Further, most agencies have already switched to allow for hicups to get fixed. If it works now, it'll work then.

Also, 1/1/13 there is a mandate that commercial transcievers (public/business radios) sent for fcc certification must have a 6.25 operating mode, although no date to my knowledge has been set to mandate transition to 6.25 accross the board. This has been a 20 year progression by part 90 of the fcc.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Apco p25 trunking has nothing to do with the 2013 mandate. The only difference narrow banding will have on an older scanner is sound quality as it can't "focus" on 12.5khz step, it will be looking at a 25khz step. This effectively allows for more "channels", so if you are on two adjacent "channels" you will recieve them both. It is to get cell comms out of public radios. True some locations are going from conventional 25 to trunked 12.5, but that is not required. Trunking scanners will still be trunking scanners, and most scanners made since 2005 can be programed in 12.5 steps.

Public Utility is govt (local/state pd, ems, fd, sar, cap, st game/fish, etc). This mandate effects emergency comms, business comms, govt comms, and authority comms on uhf and vhf. Not amateur, air, or hf/shf freq. (150 or so to 170, and 412 or so to 500, i don't recall the exact ranges)

Perhaps this explains better
http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...50470-narrow-banding-starts-jan-1-2013-a.html

Not to get off topic or anything ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I purchased an OBD1 / 2 scanner for about $125. It has connectors for chrysler, ford, gmc, toyota, etc in it. I use it with my 94 jeep and my 2004 GMC. You are correct that they converted to OBD2 starting in 1996.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
As far as the obd scanner, there are quite a few. You can get chinese obd2 20$ code readers up to 20k$ scan tools.

Scanners, tools that display codes, definitons, and possibly solutions, live monitors of sensor function, etc. are typically 250$ and up, some a little less maybe, but with obd1 you have to get multiple connectors which drives the price up 50$ at least. Obd2 is all the same 16 pin so those are cheaper. It really depends on what you want to do as to which you need, the more you want to do the more it costs. To reflash programming on new cars youre gonna shell out 20k or more. To erase an obd2 code its 20.

Code readers will simlly pull the code and clear the code (show you a number and clear the computer of the malfunction).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts