Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, contemplating getting some aftermarket fender flares for my 18 JK. I haven't decided on the specific flares yet but I prefer the flat short ones. That part I am not confused about though; what I am confused about is this whole fender liner thing.

I understand when I remove stock fenders, I will have to also remove the stock fender liner - which leaves the internals around the tires all exposed to the elements correct?

So installing the aftermarket fenders means that the internals will be all exposed to the elements correct and in general not look very clean/sophisticated? So, I'd like to have that part covered/hidden as OEM as possible.

What are my options to make that happen? Browsing online I am coming across items labeled 'fender liners' but they appear to be heavy metal material and not rubber/bendy. Is that a thing too?

Basically yea please tell me whatever I need to know to undertake this venture. Oh and I am trying to be big on DIY's with my Jeep so likely will only do it if it's DIY'able. Instructional videos will help.

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,193 Posts
You definitely want to run fender liners. Aside from keeping gunk out of the engine bay, there is a large wiring harness on passenger side you need to protect- it is directly in line where a tire could catch it, and if that harness goes, your Jeep is DOA waiting on a tow truck.

Yes the aftermarket are aluminum or steel or whatever metal. More durable than plastic.

With some fenders you may be able to just trim the factory plastic liners and reuse. Would all depend.

Reactions: Rancho

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
After extensive research I went with the Nemesis Odyssey flares with the liners (aluminum). Very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
After extensive research I went with the Nemesis Odyssey flares with the liners (aluminum). Very happy with the outcome.
Pictures?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is typically done for the rear? There aren't too many rear liners for sale, not like for the front. Seems like people do nothing or maybe paint the area black?

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
3M 3584 rubberized undercoating is what I did on the rear. It’s quite a big undertaking because I had to mask off all the areas on the body, took some time to finish that job up.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I have Poison Spyder steel flares.

In front, I trimmed my OEM liners.

in the rear I just sprayed some wheel well rubber coating, no liner.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd like to get high clearance fenders to clear my 35's but I think I have an impossible set of criteria . (1) I don't want to drill and rivnut (too permanent) (2) Want them as wide as factory flares so I dont throw rocks and mud (3) don't want steel - too heavy and (3) Dont' want to spend $2,000 for a full set with liners...

I think I may end up going the route of trimming the factory flares and making "fake" tube fenders with bent & painted PVC pipe...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd like to get high clearance fenders to clear my 35's but I think I have an impossible set of criteria . (1) I don't want to drill and rivnut (too permanent) (2) Want them as wide as factory flares so I dont throw rocks and mud (3) don't want steel - too heavy and (3) Dont' want to spend $2,000 for a full set with liners...

I think I may end up going the route of trimming the factory flares and making "fake" tube fenders with bent & painted PVC pipe...
Check out bushwacker plastic flares. I think they meet your criteria. Mine were about 500 shipped. Install takes a while (at least for me) but I love the finished product

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments so far. Although I still not quite clear as to what I need exactly and what the install would entail.

Does any fender liner work with an aftermarket fender flare? Or are they brand/model specific? I saw some fender flares that I liked the look of for under $200 on eBay but I am not sure what sort of liner I can have with them or if I'd be able to modify my stock fender liners. I am not a very good DIY person so I doubt it....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check out bushwacker plastic flares. I think they meet your criteria. Mine were about 500 shipped. Install takes a while (at least for me) but I love the finished product
Ha! I literally have the JKU version of your car. Black Rubicon Recon with Bushwacker flats and 35s on stock wheels. Like you said the Bushwackers will require zero drilling or rivnuts,and retain factory width coverage while providing over 2 inches of additional tire clearance. They are plastic too, and therefore very light, and you have no concerns with corrosion.

I should mention that on the set I installed a few months ago, the plastic brackets used to mount the flares were poorly molded with lots of flash, and made the install take a long time due to the addition trimming/cutting/cleanup that was necessary. It came out nice in the end, and I was happy that it worked so well with the trimmed stock fender liners front and rear, so no additional cost there (just lots of time to carefully mark and trim the inner liners to fit).

2,754 Posts
Thanks for the comments so far. Although I still not quite clear as to what I need exactly and what the install would entail.

Does any fender liner work with an aftermarket fender flare? Or are they brand/model specific? I saw some fender flares that I liked the look of for under $200 on eBay but I am not sure what sort of liner I can have with them or if I'd be able to modify my stock fender liners. I am not a very good DIY person so I doubt it....

The install really goes by what fender flare you go with. like the PS ones have a couple of brackets per fender that bolt in before you put the fender so they can take a hard hit. The Bushwacker fenders have plastic pieces then you slide the fender over the plastic pieces then bolt down to them.

Like with anything you get what you pay for. the eBay fenders usually require more trimming or finessing to fit correctly. Usually most aftermarket fender liners will work with any fender, you may just have to play with the fitment of that liner as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ha! I literally have the JKU version of your car. Black Rubicon Recon with Bushwacker flats and 35s on stock wheels. Like you said the Bushwackers will require zero drilling or rivnuts,and retain factory width coverage while providing over 2 inches of additional tire clearance. They are plastic too, and therefore very light, and you have no concerns with corrosion.

I should mention that on the set I installed a few months ago, the plastic brackets used to mount the flares were poorly molded with lots of flash, and made the install take a long time due to the addition trimming/cutting/cleanup that was necessary. It came out nice in the end, and I was happy that it worked so well with the trimmed stock fender liners front and rear, so no additional cost there (just lots of time to carefully mark and trim the inner liners to fit).
So funny. You make several good points. I had to trim a bunch of little stuff with a box cutter. And I snapped one of the bolts with my own strength which isn’t that much. But for the money still a great value. Oh and I trimmed the front liner and reused. But for the rear, I just threw away the liner. I may eventually try some spray liner but with a black Jeep it turned out fine. I love the finished look.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts

If you have a JK (not a JKU) they still make the Mopar High top fenders. They look a lot like the stock fenders, have enough clearance to clear 35's without extra bump stop (or 37's with an inch of extra bump stop), and other than cutting the factory inner fender liner they mount to the stock mounting holes using the same basic fasteners.
They are also wider than the stock fenders by a little.
I believe they are made by Bushwacker, but there is not a Bushwacker version of them. They stopped making the ones for the JKU, and the rear High Top fenders for the JKU are different than the ones for the JK.
I don't know if there are any old stock sets out there for the JKU.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have a JK (not a JKU) they still make the Mopar High top fenders. They look a lot like the stock fenders, have enough clearance to clear 35's without extra bump stop (or 37's with an inch of extra bump stop), and other than cutting the factory inner fender liner they mount to the stock mounting holes using the same basic fasteners.
They are also wider than the stock fenders by a little.
I believe they are made by Bushwacker, but there is not a Bushwacker version of them. They stopped making the ones for the JKU, and the rear High Top fenders for the JKU are different than the ones for the JK.
I don't know if there are any old stock sets out there for the JKU.
Thanks! I have a JKU, so sounds like they won't work but I can look on eBay. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts