Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
See post in TJ section on this as well for some ideas. I did try some stuff from the dealer.. was about $10 worked okay for minor stuff, and some of the haze, the larger stuff not as good.. was called either Jeep or Mopar scratch remover. Black bottle at the time 12oz or so...

·
Registered
221 Posts
there is a....last ditch trick.
I learned this in autobody class years ago, and still dont believe it when I see it done.

They had the plexiglass dash panel off an old car, needed to be cleaned. It was heavily hazed/with swirl cracks,yellowing...sucker was 30 years old.

The Rep from DuPont Paints came by, and showed us the deal. He used Meiguires wax with a buffer..a FOAM buffer. You CANT burn paint or plastics with foam...its too hollow, it wont hold heat. Heat is bad...thats what burns paintjobs when buffing.

He applied the wax to the plastic...10 minutes later..it looked new..BETTER than new.

Pratice found that toothpaste works just as well, as long as you follow it with a finish swirl remover-then finish wax. It WILL work on plastic windows IF you have something behind it to apply the pressure....Ive seen old jeep plastic windows that were white come back to absofrickinlutey clear as glass....it takes time, but its cheaper than new....we like cheaper.

and if your really good....it can be used to make old windshields good again...no wiper marks..... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i use novis #2 scracth remove i use it at work on snowmobiles and boats works great on all kindes of plastics and metal. even tried it on a pair of glasses. its like $7 the last time i got it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Ed in North GA. Buffing out the scratches does work. I too worked in a body shop and used a buffer with a foam pad. Meguiars fine cut cleaner works well, but so does 3M fine cut cleaner. Good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll Second the Novis #2. I use it on my Harley windshield for the scratches left behind by bugs at 80mph. You have to follow with a good soft cloth and non-amonia glass cleaner for best results.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
I've used the novus too. It worked for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts