Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, not sure how they happened, but I washed the jeep from my last wheeling excursion and found a bunch of little scratches all on one section of the hood, the picture below you can see the worst of them (the one bigger one). Anyone know a good way to rid myself of these scratches?

·
Registered
58 Posts
the guy at the body shop that i use says if you can pull your fingernail across the scratch and feel it, it will need to be sanded out and repainted. other wise most scratches will buff out with rubbing compound and polish after.

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sandlapper said:
the guy at the body shop that i use says if you can pull your fingernail across the scratch and feel it, it will need to be sanded out and repainted. other wise most scratches will buff out with rubbing compound and polish after.
It's not that deep it's just a little surface scratch forgot to add the picture!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Try turtle wax rubbing compound, their are two diff types hard and soft its has a sort of small grit in it and it buffs the scratch out use the soft one first you really need to use some elbow grease if it fails then go to the second type with a lot less elbow grease slowly, then wipe and wax hopefully this helps

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GRIZZLYJEEP said:
Try turtle wax rubbing compound, their are two diff types hard and soft its has a sort of small grit in it and it buffs the scratch out use the soft one first you really need to use some elbow grease if it fails then go to the second type with a lot less elbow grease slowly, then wipe and wax hopefully this helps
Appreciate it, I will try the turtle wax this weekend, hope I don't screw it up haha and make the scratches worse!

·
Registered
658 Posts
You get those from bushes and trees mostly. My Jeep has so many desert pin stripes I don't even notice them anymore...

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
For scratches like those I use:

Then use:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
take your lady to the cosmetics store and have her get fingernail polish who's color matches exactly. apply carefully, then use rubbing compound to even it out.

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I've been reading and stuff on rubbing compound, apparently it removes part of your clear coat and you can lose your shine? Any truth to this?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
So I've been reading and stuff on rubbing compound, apparently it removes part of your clear coat and you can lose your shine? Any truth to this?
That is why I like the polishing compound as I showed you above. Much easier on the clear coat.

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dextreme said:
That is why I like the polishing compound as I showed you above. Much easier on the clear coat.
Got it, just afraid of screwing it up more, just got it, don't want to paint it yet

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok ok, so polish, then wax, any reason to glaze before waxing? I have a huge bottle of mequiars glaze at home I bought for $.05 and I mean a 64oz bottle lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turbostixxx said:
Ok ok, so polish, then wax, any reason to glaze before waxing? I have a huge bottle of mequiars glaze at home I bought for $.05 and I mean a 64oz bottle lol
Couldn't hurt it I don't think!

·
Registered
309 Posts
As for my first post earlier, like dextreme said I ment use the polishing compound first soft stuff, if it doesn't work then go to the rubbing compund , they both have I think pummece in them , use the polishing type first , they both will start to chew into the clear coat but rubbing compound eats it off faster I think more grit, polishing is exactly what it says it polishes but takes longer to chew into surface i.e. more elbow grease as stated earlier

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GRIZZLYJEEP said:
As for my first post earlier, like dextreme said I ment yat the polishing compound first soft stuff, if it doesn't work then go to the rubbing compund , they both have I think pummece in them , use the polishing type first , they both will start to chew into the clear coat but rubbing compound eats it off faster I think more grit, polishing is exactly what it says it polishes but takes longer to chew into surface i.e. more elbow grease as stated earlier
Alright, guess my last question is, once I polish it, then wax it, am I going to have to wax it every couple of months after that lol, I'm not a big waxer

·
Registered
309 Posts
I guess I don't mind doing auto detailing, I use the turtle wax ice it goes on with a sponge clear no compound its super easy to work with plus you can use it on your fenders and black stuff it really helps but waxing every six months or so wouldn't be out of the question for you , polish it glaze it wax it see how it works for you :)

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha, so you use the spray wax? I was thinking of using that instead of the paste type wax, especially since I'm doing everything by hand

·
Registered
309 Posts
The one I use is in a bottle that kinda squirts onto the sponge then I just wipe it all over it kinda hazes over and it wipes of super easy with microfiber towels

Razor Automotive wheel system Auto part Brake Rim

·
Krew Member
20,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i am looking at polishes and such because bluebird is getting the pampering this weekend. Looking at this Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax that apparently has polish in it, think this might work instead of buying polish and wax?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts