Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a manual 2005 Wrangler Unlimited a few months ago with 70k miles. Yesterday leaving work there was a squeeling sound coming from the transmission area whenever I depress the clutch. It's only loud when the clutch is being engaged and quiets down when it's fully depressed. I have the NSG370 trans and apparently there is a tendency for the throwout bearing to go bad. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm going to change the fluid today and see if that helps.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If it's just noisy when you press on the clutch it is the throw out bearing which is part of a clutch kit. Plan on doing a clutch job.

If doing it yourself, buy a LUK clutch. They are available here for less than $100. 1994-1995, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler Clutch Kit - LUK 05-065 - - PartsGeek.com

If you have a shop do it, have them install a LUK kit and do not allow them to machine the flywheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks for the reply on this. Should I even try changing the oil or is it basically in need of a new clutch kit?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but why are you not supposed to machine the fly wheel? Ext. balanced engine?
A TJ flywheel has a slight dome shape to it that machining flattens. The recommendation is to clean it up by hand with some emery cloth if it is not heat checked or warped. If it is either one of those, replacement is necessary.

Cool thanks for the reply on this. Should I even try changing the oil or is it basically in need of a new clutch kit?
The transmission is not even turning if the clutch is depressed, so it is not transmission noise that you're hearing. You will need a clutch.

If your little noise (when the clutch is up) is kind of a small rattle and it goes away with just slight pressure on the clutch pedal, it's likely a broken (missing) clutch return spring in the bell housing. That is not really a big deal...just annoying, and can be replaced when a clutch job is done (as long as the person doing it knows what to look for (some people miss it if it was missing when they tore it apart)

Watch the last couple of minutes of this video and you'll get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXhdAG3qaE

·
Registered
238 Posts
Water Dog said:
A TJ flywheel has a slight dome shape to it that machining flattens. The recommendation is to clean it up by hand with some emery cloth if it is not heat checked or warped. If it is either one of those, replacement is necessary. The transmission is not even turning if the clutch is depressed, so it is not transmission noise that you're hearing. You will need a clutch. If your little noise (when the clutch is up) is kind of a small rattle and it goes away with just slight pressure on the clutch pedal, it's likely a broken (missing) clutch return spring in the bell housing. That is not really a big deal...just annoying, and can be replaced when a clutch job is done (as long as the person doing it knows what to look for (some people miss it if it was missing when they tore it apart) Watch the last couple of minutes of this video and you'll get the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXhdAG3qaE
Thanks Dog, I've never heard of such a thing. I'll bet a lot of flywheels have been incorrectly machined during clutch jobs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts