Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to use Seafoam gas additive for summer hot weather
conditions? Will it work in the winter to prevent gas “ freeze “
problems ?
I am thinking to use the product for a 2021 v- 6 .

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon
64 Posts
What are you expecting it to do for you? It really is completely unnecessary. Gasolines have plenty of detergents in them already and most have ethanol which prevents freezing in the winter. You can use it but why?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
It works extremely well on older gunked up engines with carbon build up and such, but it's not needed for lesser mile engines. One could argue that using it could prevent such gunk build up or carbon which may be true, but I wouldn't say it's needed. Realistically you can run it whenever you'd like and it won't cause issues though.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
97,312 Posts
With the quality and additives in fuel as of today, there is no need to run additives in a new engine..IMO

Reactions: dstevens

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I have a Subaru and they surprisingly have you run “fuel cleaners“ every 30k miles. I do the same in the jeep and I would use the seafoam intake spray to clean up carbon on the throttle body.

But you shouldn’t really need it for a brand new engine as everything should be pretty clean

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been running 2 cans of sea foam in my JK every oil change for 10 years now. Occasionally I use the throttle body intake cleaner one, and use the break booster to pull it into the engine too. It's pretty proven stuff. Works great with your lawn mower too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is it safe to use Seafoam gas additive for summer hot weather
conditions? Will it work in the winter to prevent gas “ freeze “
problems ?
Most additives are snake oil and can do more harm than good.
Seafoam was sold in the past for two stroke engines like marine engines and lawn mowers where oil and gas are mixed to together. Today they market it, using false claims to keep the product on the shelves.
That said, if looking for a fuel additive to clean injectors, specifically ridding of carbon deposits, you need to look for "P.E.A" (Polyetheramine) as a main ingredient. Chevron & Royal Purple have PEA. Seafoam has none.
If you want to prevent gas freeze at low temperatures, you can then add "gas line antifreeze". Thing is, gas companies that distribute in cold climates, add antifreeze (isopropyl alcohol) to their fuel during the winter months.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Registered
734 Posts
Usually the only real need for SeaFoam is in the throttle body of direct-injection engines, to keep the intake clear of carbon deposits. Port-injected engines will be kept clean enough by top-tier fuel.

Usually a quality synthetic motor oil will eliminate the need for crankcase additives, but I have a really old engine that seems to be helped by SeaFoam.

If you need to worry about gas tank freeze-up in winter, then a more effective product would be an emulsifier, K100 (which is not compatible with other gas tank additives).

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Take a look at StarTron, top rated fuel additive and fuel stabilizer.
I started using Star Tron at the onset of the pandemic since my vehicles were not getting driven much. Use it for my generator as well. Can’t really say too much, my stored gasoline works as it should so I guess it works as advertised.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never found Seafoam to be a viable treatment , I have use Techron and find that to be a better fuel system cleaner .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most additives are snake oil and can do more harm than good.
Seafoam was sold in the past for two stroke engines like marine engines and lawn mowers where oil and gas are mixed to together. Today they market it, using false claims to keep the product on the shelves.
That said, if looking for a fuel additive to clean injectors, specifically ridding of carbon deposits, you need to look for "P.E.A" (Polyetheramine) as a main ingredient. Chevron & Royal Purple have PEA. Seafoam has none.
If you want to prevent gas freeze at low temperatures, you can then add "gas line antifreeze". Thing is, gas companies that distribute in cold climates, add antifreeze (isopropyl alcohol) to their fuel during the winter months.
Sounds just like Scotty

·
Registered
67 Posts
The gas that is sold is crap , if your state receives highway money you get 10% Ethanol , I have to drive a hour out of my emissions testing county ... We have the impenetrable dome ... Out of my county to a non emissions county to find Ethanol free gas at the pump .
Thats why I went Diesel on my new JLU , gasoline business from top to bottom is all political corruption related GOV forces you to buy blended gas , I wish the GOV would mandate you buy products from my company .
I watched from a diner other day a non branded gas tanker go from a BP fuel drop over to a Sunoco and drop fuel at 4:30 am super sneaky scumbags .
They are required to buy the top tier gas but can buy the lower grade from anyone .
Gas is crap these days , I run costco or Sam’s cheapest in my other gas powered , I add Lucas Upper Cylinder treatment and a bottle of Chevron Techron once a year , my snake oil combination has not let me down , I figure any extra lubrication can’t hurt .

·
Registered
2021 Sahara High Altitude 4xe
34 Posts
My understanding is that all brands of gas at your local gas station use the same gasoline blend stock that meets your local region temp and environmental requirements as there are limited refineries producing specific blends. The difference in brands is that the ‘quality brands’ distinguish themselves by the quality and quantity of detergents added to the fuel. Chevron sources Techron which is used in their fuel and is licensed by Shell to use in their gas. I have also heard Coscto gas is also on par with other name brands. I also believe that a better retailer will maintain tanks and pumps better which should minimize moisture intrusion into gasoline especially with ethanol blended fuels (which are most commonly available). Hard to tell whether this discipline makes any difference over the life of ownership, but good maintenance, sticking to branded gas supplemented with Techron fuel treatment has given me good life 50+ years on one engine; 220k miles 17 years on another and sold running perfectly.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use Techron after every oil change and it’s served me well in my last 3 vehicles. The issue is “limited refineries.” That alone should reveal the scam of fuel companies. Bad weather? Higher prices because of our “limited refinery” capability. Hurricane? Higher prices because we had to shut down a refinery in it’s path. Jock itch? High prices because one of our workers at one of our “limited refineries” had to call in sick from repeated scratching.

The oil companies like so many other of our “elite” corporations only exist because there are people to prey upon like fuel consumers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sea Foam rocks!!😁 I use it in all 2 strokes and my mower(just gas). Have used it a few times in vehicles, but since gas rarely sits too long in vehicles of mine, I have found no need. It’s a miracle worker on my 2 stroke engines though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think if you fill up regularly with "top tier" gas, your engine will appreciate it. When I go on a road trip, I'll sometimes put a bottle of Techron, Lucas or Seafoam in the first tankfull, because I know I'll be burning through all of it in one episode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts