Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use "Seafoam" fuel additive to clean the fuel system in the jeep ?
Is it okay to use it in the jeep fuel system ?

I use it in my car and my motorcycle and its great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I personally don't believe in using all of that mess. Gasoline refineries have gas chemicals down to their own blend. If these companies thought you needed some of the contents of seafoam in their gas, why isn't some in there?

Just use a high quality gasoline and you won't have to worry about build up and such.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've used it in my gas tank, the crankcase and in the engine itself. Gas tank is easy just pour it in, crankcase pour some in usually a 1/3 of a can, and then replace your oil in around 50 miles. To clean the engine, put some in a different container and suck it through a vacuum line making sure the jeep doesn't stall out, let it sit for about 15 min and then go drive it. It will be producing a lot of white smoke, that's normal, it's carbon buildup that the seafoam is cleaning. There are some good YouTube videos on how to do these as well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My jeep had sat for 2 years.. Wend I acquired it.... seafoam was the first thing I added to the fuel system. And believe it or not, I had no issues with the fuel system at all!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I add seafoam to my gas. especially after cleaning the throttle plate and finding 1/16" of black buildup on the bottom of it. I will be sucking it into the intake through a vacuum line soon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I seafoamed my jeep when I first got it. I put it in the gas tank and sucked some up through a vac line, let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then blew out all the carbon. It produced a hell of a lot of white smoke, but I can't really say if it improved how my engine ran. Some swear by it, some don't.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've used it in several vehicles and lawn mowers/weed eaters/blowers over the years. I think it helps, especially if you use bargain gas like from Sam's club or do tons of stop and go driving and rarely hit the highways. The propanol and naptha in it DO help remove gum/varnish and other deposits, naptha is also the main ingredient of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
I personally wouldn't waste my $$$ adding Seafoam, the current fad, to my gas tank. Why? Because today's modern gasolines all have more than sufficient fuel system & fuel injector cleaning additives to keep the fuel system clean.

Talk to an honest full-time experienced automative mechanic and he'll confirm that he hasn't seen a dirty/clogged fuel injector in many years. I used to have a 15-20 new car & truck dealers as customers years ago & I ended up asking that question of pretty much every mechanic I came in contact with... & that's what they said. The newer mechanics had never seen a dirty fuel injector & the older mechanics said it had been years since they had seen one.

Yes, fuel injectors USED to get dirty when the gasoline manufacturers weren't adding enough cleaning additives but that hasn't been true in many years now, probably 20+ years at least.

If you have a lawn more or similar engine where the gasoline regularly turns to varnish from sitting too long, use a more suitable product like Gumout or Sta-bil to clean things up.... they were specifically designed for such problems and cost 1/3 as much as Seafoam.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Thanks in advance.
If you think it's great in your car and motorcycle, why would you be worried about using it on the jeep. Personally I'd just stick with good quality gas, but if you don't know about how the PO ran it, clean it up and stay with good gas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was a non believer until I got a batch of "BAD GASOLINE" as defined by my mechanic. 1 can of seafoam and a tank of good gas my TJ 2.5 runs a lot better. Even better than before the "Bad Gasoline".

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
For the most part I believe it depends on your local gas supply. High amount of ethanol supplemented, lots of extra refining, extra additives, extra detergents, yada yada, you may benefit.

I searched this weeks back and the common theme was folks who could source pure gas stated this was unnecessary and those who couldn't saw benefits.

Again, my opinion. But nobody had reported anything negative! So go for it! I will be soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought all those products like seafoam were mainly for old gas. I've heard lots of people say to add that to things that sit around like a weed eater, lawn mower, pressure washer, etc. that sits around all winter. I guess a vehicle that sits around for a while could use it but I really don't think there is any need to use it on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I personally wouldn't waste my $$$ adding Seafoam, the current fad, to my gas tank. Why? Because today's modern gasolines all have more than sufficient fuel system & fuel injector cleaning additives to keep the fuel system clean.

Talk to an honest full-time experienced automative mechanic and he'll confirm that he hasn't seen a dirty/clogged fuel injector in many years. I used to have a 15-20 new car & truck dealers as customers years ago & I ended up asking that question of pretty much every mechanic I came in contact with... & that's what they said. The newer mechanics had never seen a dirty fuel injector & the older mechanics said it had been years since they had seen one.

Yes, fuel injectors USED to get dirty when the gasoline manufacturers weren't adding enough cleaning additives but that hasn't been true in many years now, probably 20+ years at least.

If you have a lawn more or similar engine where the gasoline regularly turns to varnish from sitting too long, use a more suitable product like Gumout or Sta-bil to clean things up.... they were specifically designed for such problems and cost 1/3 as much as Seafoam.
My 1976 Chevy K20 pickup with a 400 small block will absolutely argue with you on this one if it had a brain and a voice. i have owned the truck since 1986 and it got to the point where is idled very poorly and made a very bad missing sound at idle and mid RPM's. My mechanic took 3 cans of Sea Foam and sucked it in through the vacuum booster line for the power brakes. The engine spit out all kinds of holy crap and when he was done i had the smoothest running 100K miles 400 around. The valves were all carboned up and the Sea Foam burned it right off. That was 6 years ago and several thousand miles later the engine still idles like a new car. I was ready to do a valve job and 3 cans of Sea Foam solved the problem. Also it fixed my starting problem/ gummed up check valve on my 99 TJ. Had the problem where the Jeep would not start after sitting for a bit and two cans of Sea Foam in the gas tank sitting for a month cleaned it right up. Starts first crank every time for 3 years now. Our gas with ethanol creates some unique issues. I believe in Sea Foam for carburated cars and for sticky fuel pump check valves. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Had a cylinder Misfire. Pulled plugs looked fine. Engine was running rough at idle. Thought maybe coil pack. 1 can of seafoam later in the tank and no issues since. That was 6 months ago. Never believed in the stuff, but what could it hurt right?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Had a cylinder Misfire. Pulled plugs looked fine. Engine was running rough at idle. Thought maybe coil pack. 1 can of seafoam later in the tank and no issues since. That was 6 months ago. Never believed in the stuff, but what could it hurt right?
a LOT actually..:whistling:

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Running seafoam through your engine can indeed loosen up sludge and carbon. Where does that carbon go? Well it could possibly go in small oil passages and keeps oil from getting places.

It can also cause cat failure and other sensor and spark plug fouling. Google it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts