Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to replace the ft pads on my TJ since they started to grind last night. My fault for not checking them earlier but you get lazy when your unemployed. Needed the RF rotor also but anyway its my problem and not very expensive when you DIY.

Back to the point, while at Advance Autoparts they had seafoam on the counter and the sales person was pushing it. I told him I did not need it and would never use it and bought my pads. I guess if you did not know what it was and asked what it was good for they would push it on everyone for everything.

Just needed to rant.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't like seafoam? Why or why not? I just bought 2 cans (one for the jeep and another for lawn mower and Harley) but haven't used them yet.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've gotten good deals at Advance AutoParts on Seafoam in the past. 3 for the cost of 2. I'd buy 9 cans at a time when I'd see it on sale. I'm personally a fan and use a can in the gas tank at every oil change on all my vehicles

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Additives are only sold to increase the profits of the stores and the manufacturers. Been in the automotive business for over 45 years and when I worked in retail we were told to sell all that crap to I crease sales. Increase sales meant more prifits and more commission for the seller. All my vehicles over these years ran 150-200k with out them and none of them ever had a failure.

But if you believe in snake oil go for it, it's your money.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you want to get technical, a retail, for-profit business only sells products to increase the store's profits or to get the customer in the door in the hopes he/she will spend money on other profitable inventory while they're in the store. I mean, it's not like O'Reilly's is selling Wix air filters at 4 times unit cost and donating all the profits to charity.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I use it in my mowers and it has helped my sluggish push mower. I don't use it the vehicles I think they are new enough and don't have any issues. But my weedeaters and push mower I use it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Personally I would buy sta-bil and use where/when a vechicle/mower/what ever is going to set for 3weeks + to keep the gas from degrading as much as possible. I double up the amount for my motorhome. These things set more than get driven. It would be a waste in a daily driver. I suppose enough cans of sea foam over time may help clean carbs/injectors up a bit, but then again so will Marvel oil in the gas, and it's lots cheaper. IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts