Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced all my fenders with MCEs and one thing I noticed while pulling out the rear liners is that there is a very definite seam between panels of the tub that looks like a MAGNET for corrosion (especially for those of you in places where they salt the roads!).

I squirted some RTV up in there as a temporary solution (my experience with RTV is that it doesn't tend to stay very long).

I'm curious how many others have worried about this, and if so what you've done? I don't really want to spend $500 to have Line-X sprayed in there.

I'm thinking about using something like "Flex Seal" that I've seen at a local hardware store. Or maybe just hand-painting some Herculiner... Hmm...

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
I cut the original liners and put them back in.

I'm not wild about the look but I hate the idea of using rtv or something like that which does more to trap water in than allow it to drain out. Wet metal which is allowed to dry isn't really an issue. It's when you trap water against metal that rusting damage occurs.

zzzz20180528_114304.jpg

I doubt flex seal or anything like that work work. The wheel throws sand, rock, water, snow... etc at a pretty good force and would quickly chew up anything like that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cut the original liners and put them back in.

I'm not wild about the look but I hate the idea of using rtv or something like that which does more to trap water in than allow it to drain out.
I tried that and it really looked stupid and didn't fit well. The aftermarket liners that I've seen dont provide any protection from splashing up into the upper part of the fender well, so no one seems to think this is much of an issue, I guess...

Good point about "sealing in moisture". Depending on how good the paint/corrosion protective coatings are from the factory this might be an important consideration.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One would think the proper application of a good quality bed liner like Linex or Rhino Liner would suffice.
I think it would. But the $500 my local shop wants is not to my liking. ;-)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think it would. But the $500 my local shop wants is not to my liking. ;-)
The wrinkle-finish rattle-can stuff actually looks pretty good for more hidden areas like that, if you take your time with prep and do a few coats. And it's almost as durable (enough for an application like that).

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,900 Posts
Have line x spray their black tar like undercoating in there......

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I used spray in bedliner from Advance Auto when I had mine out. I since cut my factory liners and put them back in as I wanted more protection from sand and rocks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I used 3M 3584 Rubberized Undercoating, 2 full coats on each side.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 15 year old jeep hasn’t rusted out from all the crud that gets forced up in there. We don’t really get snow here in the south, and they only salt the roads on frosty mornings occasionally.
It was 65 degrees out yesterday and snowed all day today.
The on
The only salt you see is Lake Tahoe I’m guessing?

Reactions: sbsyncro

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I would use the herculiner or monstaliner. I used the old one and it's not that bad. I even heated up the section at the rear where the gap is and molded the liner to fit the gap better. It does give good protection but be forwarned, if you play in the mud the mud will pack up behind the factory liner

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would use the herculiner or monstaliner. I used the old one and it's not that bad. I even heated up the section at the rear where the gap is and molded the liner to fit the gap better. It does give good protection but be forwarned, if you play in the mud the mud will pack up behind the factory liner
Yea, I noticed that when I pulled the fenders off, the back sides were CAKED with dust and dried mud.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My 15 year old jeep hasn’t rusted out from all the crud that gets forced up in there. We don’t really get snow here in the south, and they only salt the roads on frosty mornings occasionally.
It was 65 degrees out yesterday and snowed all day today.
The on
The only salt you see is Lake Tahoe I’m guessing?
No salt anywhere to my knowledge in California. Only Sand.

Yea, I noticed that when I pulled the fenders off, the back sides were CAKED with dust and dried mud.

Mine have been off for a few years here in CA and I have no issues. I hit it with a hose or pressure washer after wheeling, but thats about it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did three coats of rustoleom Bedliner. It’s been holding up great and looks great too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts