Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is this button? How do you use it? And why are so many questions asked over and over? I just want to start this thread to teach some of the new wf members about it. I just see a lot of questions not being answered because so many of us just don't feel like explaining it all over again. I feel the search function is the best thing wf has. If you have a question, I gaurantee you can get answers from hundreds of people that have already answered it before, rather then from just the three or four people that will respond to your post. Just my thought. :wavey:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Top row says Search click on it then put your question in. If nothing comes up try differernt variations of your question.

·
In a trailer in the woods
75,276 Posts
There are a couple of ways to search the forum. If you have a question we recommend that you search before posting. There's a fair chance that we have a several posts about your topic of interest.

The Forums search tool found on the upper blue nav bar is fairly easy to use and really quick. Our search tool searches for key words and you have a choice to search for threads or posts. Consider using the advanced search function to narrow down your choices. You must be logged into the forums to use the search tool.

·
In a trailer in the woods
75,276 Posts
WranglerForum does offer a search feature, however we do not require anyone to use it before posting questions. We realize the search tool is crude and it's the helpful nature of this community that makes WF what it is and sets it apart from some of the others. Like wise, if the only reply to a thread you can offer is to “go search“ or “use the search“... then please don't. .It is not your responsibility or job to search for answers for user "X", no one is obligated to help if they do not wish too, that choice is made on your own. If you believe you must post for whatever reason...then be helpful and polite. Post a link to a helpful thread or point them politely in the direction to find the info needed.

Telling users and mainly new users to just search is rude and can drive them away from the forum as they can take it wrong and feel belittled from such comments. Not everyone is wise to how forums work, but most learn and pick up quickly. The cool thing about reading threads on a forum such as this one is that if you don't want to answer the question you can just close the window and go to the next thread. Again no where is it written that you have to reply in a thread.

Also a valid point, as with any very large site, it is a little hard to fine specific items with the search function. Small words like YJ or oil will not return any results because they are under the 4 letter limit the search has.
WranglerForum does also have another helpful search to help you out…. Google Custom Search - Wrangler Forum Custom Search
So please be helpful to your fellow jeeper, and not just that rude "search" person.

Thank You
The WranglerForum Staff

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want everyone to know that is started this thread to be very helpful for some of our new users. I DID NOT start this thread to mean any harm what so ever. My only intent was to educate some of the new users and help them avoid some of the negative responses that they may recieve.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I use google and find the wf is usually one of the first hits when I have a common question. The search function for wf on the iPhone isn't great...sorry moderators...needs some work.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
ive often found using google :eek: to do a search :eek: and more often then not it'll lead me to a thread on the wrangler forum that the WF search didnt show me due to it being a thread from 08 or older. :thumb: :D
I.E. I was changing the oil on my 00 4.0 But i wanted to know the oil capacity. The WF search brought me here http://www.wranglerforum.com/search.php?searchid=4040789 not to helpful. others would just ask yet again another question. But i then googled 2000 jeep wrangler oil capacity and got this on the second result http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/oil-capacity-and-type-10244.html

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
jrussblues said:
I use google and find the wf is usually one of the first hits when I have a common question. The search function for wf on the iPhone isn't great...sorry moderators...needs some work.
Same for android

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The search feature on many forums blows, hands down; WF isn't unique in that regard. But luckily Google makes it easy for you to search any site in particular using their search engine. Many of you probably know about this, but for those who aren't very computer-savvy here is a good tip:

If you want to search just WranglerForum for some kind of topic: say the great auto vs manual transmission debate. You can use Google to filter it's results to only WranglerForum by doing this:

auto vs manual site:http://www.wranglerforum.com

By entering that phrase into the Google search box, you'll be searching only wranglerforum.com for the phrase "auto vs manual". You can put anything at all in for "auto vs manual" to search for whatever you want, and you can change "www.wranglerforum.com" to whatever site you want: JeepForum.com, Pirate4x4.com, etc.

So in short, just remember:

<search_term> site:<web_address_for_site_to_search>

and you'll be able to find what you're looking for much easier. Often the search tool on a forum has Google search as an option, but using the above technique you can use Google to search any site regardless of whether the actual site offers the feature or not.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Is there an upgraded search feature that can be installed? I imagine this is some kind of out of the box forum program (Social Knowledge?!) and there is probably an updated version of the search plugin somewhere that can be installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The search feature on many forums blows, hands down; WF isn't unique in that regard. But luckily Google makes it easy for you to search any site in particular using their search engine. Many of you probably know about this, but for those who aren't very computer-savvy here is a good tip:

If you want to search just WranglerForum for some kind of topic: say the great auto vs manual transmission debate. You can use Google to filter it's results to only WranglerForum by doing this:

auto vs manual site:Jeep Wrangler Forum - Jeep Wrangler Owners Community

By entering that phrase into the Google search box, you'll be searching only wranglerforum.com for the phrase "auto vs manual". You can put anything at all in for "auto vs manual" to search for whatever you want, and you can change "www.wranglerforum.com" to whatever site you want: JeepForum.com, Pirate4x4.com, etc.

So in short, just remember:

<search_term> site:<web_address_for_site_to_search>

and you'll be able to find what you're looking for much easier. Often the search tool on a forum has Google search as an option, but using the above technique you can use Google to search any site regardless of whether the actual site offers the feature or not.
vB can do a lot better than you'd think, you just have to know how to properly use the various search functions. Google may get you better but in all my years using vB I never ended up needing to use Google instead of the build in search function

Tapatalk, the mobile app, has it's ups and downs but given how it's more of an add-on, per say, than a standard part of the forum software stuff like that is going to happen. I personally prefer to browse the full site on my android but I'm weird.

As someone who was previously an admin of a pretty large mobile phone forum (over a million members) I have no qualms saying there can be a heck of a lot more to it than it appears to the end user.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
vB can do a lot better than you'd think, you just have to know how to properly use the various search functions. Google may get you better but in all my years using vB I never ended up needing to use Google instead of the build in search function

Tapatalk, the mobile app, has it's ups and downs but given how it's more of an add-on, per say, than a standard part of the forum software stuff like that is going to happen. I personally prefer to browse the full site on my android but I'm weird.

As someone who was previously an admin of a pretty large mobile phone forum (over a million members) I have no qualms saying there can be a heck of a lot more to it than it appears to the end user.
I know the search function has a lot of nice features, but you said it yourself; Google can get you better search results much easier and faster. Sure I can go tool around with the search function and alter all the parameters to help narrow down the search, but if you use the right keywords I can usually find what I'm looking for in a few seconds on Google without my fingers ever leaving the keyboard. (yeah, I'm one of those crazy guys that loves Vim)

I write device drivers for a living (as well as any other piece of software you can imagine) so it's not like I'm a user that's struggling to use the search feature. Using technology is pathetically easy for me as I'm sure it is for many others on here. At the other end of the spectrum you have people on here who are like my father and can barely use a web browser. I simply posted my suggestion to help out the not-so tech savvy crowd here on WR; I wasn't trying to downplay vB.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh no worries man, you don't have to defend yourself :D I'm just saying that for me, personally, I've used vB for years and I'm extremely comfortable with the search functions. And the advanced search feature can be very nice, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts