Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat belt light will not turn off anymore. At first I looked under the seat to make sure everything was still connected. I then unhooked the seat belt sensor and made sure the pins were all in tact and plugged it back in. The seat belt chime was driving me nuts, so with my jscan app I was able to turn that off, but still have the light on

I ordered a new replacement seat belt with sensor and decided before taking the seat out lets plug it up and make sure it works. Well it doesn't, I still have the seat belt light stuck on.

What are my next options to check? Is this tied to a fuse that could be blown?

Don't want to take to dealer as I am out of warranty now. Jeep is a 16 JKU Rubi with 44K on it.

I still have the new seat belt in my garage as it was not worth the restocking fee to return.

Ken~

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Just a guess...

There's a sensor in the front passenger seat that detects the weight of anyone sitting on the seat. When a passenger is detected, then the seat belt warning will sound if the passenger doesn't have the seat belt fastened. ( I discovered this by accident when carrying a heavy 5 gallon water jug on the passenger seat).

It might be that your passenger seat sensor is shorted and thinking the seat is occupied when there's nobody there. You can confirm this by doing up the passenger seat belt. If the seat belt warning stops, then it's likely that is your problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried buckling the passenger side and the light stays on. I have not looked under the passenger seat to see if the sensor plug is the same. Possible that side is the culprit. Will glance at it this evening.

As for the sound I was able to turn that off already via the jscan app. I tried doing the steps from the manual, but it doesn't even recognize the drivers seat belt is buckled.

The light staying on is not the end of the world, but does get annoying at night when driving.

Ken~

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the passenger side seat belt.

Looking more under the drivers side their appears to be 3 sensors total.
1 on the seat belt it self
1 that the seat belt sensor goes into
1 that looks like a loop

Any chance one of those would cause the light to come on?
Also is any of this ran by a fuse under the hood? I looked under the hood at the fuse cover and can't see anything that would relate to the seatbelt. Don't want to just start pulling fuses to see if any are blown in case it resets other things.

Ken~

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I had a similar issue with the drivers side seat belt not detecting it is buckled. I unplugged the sensor and used a wire to jump the two pins together. Problem solved

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue for months. At first I could slowly push in the buckle and the light would go off. Then it was always on. I did the chime off steps and it worked great but the light still annoyed me. I unplugged the buckle sensor and blasted with electrical contact cleaner in the buckle it’s self. Light works great now. It’s cheap quick probably worth your time. Good luck

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I had this on an 08 JKU. The plug to the female side of the seat belt was loose. re-seated and all was well. I have a seat belt (female side) in my garage if you want it. Idk if it's the same part number or not.

·
Retired Moderator
100,614 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just been living with it so far. It is really only annoying at night time driving. I have a new seatbelt with sensor already, but when I replaced it, it did nothing. Also I had to use my Jscan tool in order to get the chime to turn off as the seatbelt buckle doesn't even recognize anything.

Will look into spaying it with some electrical cleaner, just need to find some.

Thanks,

Ken~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts