Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this to help those out there with stuck seat belts, i do not know why they get stuck but they do at some of the worst times.

So here it goes

Step 1: remove the T-50 torx bolt. This bolt is a MAJOR PITA the first time you remove it, some lubricant is highly recommended.

Step 2: Remove the belt retracter and open it like a clam shell. There is a rivet at the bottom holding the plastic cover on, i leave it alone as its very plyable plastic.

Step 3: THIS IS IMPORTANT DO NOT OPEN THE SIDE THAT SAYS DO NOT OPEN, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Open the other side by prying off the cover with a flat head screw driver.

Once open it should look like this.

Step 4: Remove the yellow and silver bobber looking thing.

And the actual locking mechanism right above the bobber looking thing.

The final product will look similar to this

Now put the cover back on, fold the plastic cover back over the retracter and bolt it back in. very simple very cheap fix.

THIS FIX WILL NOT DISABLE THE EMERGENCY LOCKING MECHANISM BUILT INTO THE RETRACTER. IF YOUR BELT DOES NOT LOCK WITH A FAST YANK YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY. SAFETY IS NUMBER ONE PRIORITY, DO NOT GAMBLE WITH YOURS OR ANY OTHERS PERSONS LIFE.

I ALSO DO NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONES SCREW UPS ON THIS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seat belt retractor

Thanks so much for your post, Abomination93! The seat belt on the passenger side of my 06 Rubicon started acting up yesterday and this info will likely come in very handy!:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did this to mine a few days ago, I didn't see the "do open" part as it was covered in dirt, spent the rest of the day hating myself. Good write up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Will doing this stop the unnecessary locking of my belt? My drivers side belt locks at 0mph.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well i did this mod. now my seat belts come out and can be used, but now they dont retrack ? :facepalm::confused: well, any ways i wont get a ticket for not wearing my seat belt ! :whistling::thumb:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Damn! Which I had seen this before I spent $70 on a new one. Mine wouldn't release (unspool) the belt. Now I know why: the little spring holding the catch out of the way was missing. Oh welll...thanks for posting...I'll know better next time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unbolting, spooling & unspooling a few times, rebolting - seemed to do the trick on my tension issue. Go figure!

·
Registered
617 Posts
The spring inside will fly out like a watch spring. Promises to be a good time right there don't ya know

·
Super Moderator
12,906 Posts
Working as a bodyman we have to change the seatbelts often. When I saw the "Do Not Open This Side" guess what I did. Luckily it was one we took out as an insurance replacement. My drivers side was sticking when I got my current YJ. A shot of WD40 got it back online. This particular shop kink is useful if the WD40 doesn't work. Thanks Abo93. Great writeup. L.M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
awesome info

:beerme: 95 wrangler seat belt was driving me nuts....looked up part to buy and found this. Great info! I've seen too many jeeps upside down to know better. Safety first when your wheeling!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great write up. I have had mine apart and cleaned and oiled it (still didn't help) - never thought to remove that part! Great idea, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
That little weight with the yellow top is the inertia weight that locks the belt in the event of a collision. Seat belt retractor assemblies are not intended to be serviced but replaced.
You will find that out when you get into a wreck but then it will be too late.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts