Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some seat covers since I recently moved to a military base and after PT, I'm pretty dirty and sweaty and I don't want to ruin my seats in my Relatively new JK Wrangler. What seat covers would you recommend for this? Where can I get them. I would prefer if I didn't have to buy online as I'm not sure how I can get stuff shipped to me yet.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
neoprene covers are waterproof...

the G.E.A.R. G.E.A.R. Seat Covers - Smittybilt seat covers are NOT waterproof, but will save you a TON of space...

you'd hafta have any decent seaat covers shipped though, just ask yer PLT SGT how to get em shipped to you...

as a side note though, you most likely won't ruin the seats... especially if you pull the top off for the summer ;). You will need a wet/dry vac though, and if you get a "carpet steamer" type vacuum cleaner, it will work even better :)
I've gone through mud puddles with the roof off a few times, and it's plenty easy to clean em up.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Neoprene is NOT waterproof. It absorbs and holds water......
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. My Jeep got caught in the rain one time. I felt under the seat cover and the seat was dry. I happily sat down. I wasn't so happy any more. :( When are you going to make JK seat covers?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen that the specific jeep front seat covers are over $100 online, so today at advance auto i found a basic universal seat cover. I bought one to test it since it was only $14 bucks and since it's just gonna soak up sweat and dirt I don't see the need to spend much more money on seat covers then.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. My Jeep got caught in the rain one time. I felt under the seat cover and the seat was dry. I happily sat down. I wasn't so happy any more. :( When are you going to make JK seat covers?
Idk, about JK covers... You know Bestop doesn't even make them, cause of the airbags, iirc... That and not having access to one to make patterns is kind of holding me back... :)

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
the G.E.A.R. G.E.A.R. Seat Covers - Smittybilt seat covers are NOT waterproof, but will save you a TON of space...
Are CRAP!
Sorry - EXPENSIVE CRAP!

I have them, if you want to talk about a waste of money, let me just bend your ear awhile. They send a whole gob of little bitty pockets that don't hold schmidt.

The pockets attach with snaps, that won't stay fastened, so they bounce loose and end up on the floor board.

There are only two pockets that will hold anything, and the best one mounts so that the flap opens on the SIDE causing everything to fall out when you open it. The other has a nasty elastic lanyard inside it so that it's difficult to get things in and out of.

I HATE them!

They are also a "vest" that do not cover the whole seat, so the corners get filthy, and stuff gets under them.

They don't fit well, and now after a mere 6 months, the one on my drivers side has ripped out.

There is a buckle at the top, that hits the back of your head.
The "vest" isn't positioned so that it works with the seat release on the top. I had to make lengtheners for the straps to make it work.

Rugged Ridge makes some that are similar, the pocket configuration looks better and their products are usually pretty good. BUT they are still a vest style.

OR, you could get some from Inferno girl. I've seen hers in person, and they look fantastic!

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Thanks Kate, but I don't do JK's.......... yet. ;)

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Well, get with the program sister! :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are CRAP!
Sorry - EXPENSIVE CRAP!

I have them, if you want to talk about a waste of money, let me just bend your ear awhile. They send a whole gob of little bitty pockets that don't hold schmidt.

The pockets attach with snaps, that won't stay fastened, so they bounce loose and end up on the floor board.

There are only two pockets that will hold anything, and the best one mounts so that the flap opens on the SIDE causing everything to fall out when you open it. The other has a nasty elastic lanyard inside it so that it's difficult to get things in and out of.

I HATE them!

They are also a "vest" that do not cover the whole seat, so the corners get filthy, and stuff gets under them.

They don't fit well, and now after a mere 6 months, the one on my drivers side has ripped out.

There is a buckle at the top, that hits the back of your head.
The "vest" isn't positioned so that it works with the seat release on the top. I had to make lengtheners for the straps to make it work.

Rugged Ridge makes some that are similar, the pocket configuration looks better and their products are usually pretty good. BUT they are still a vest style.

OR, you could get some from Inferno girl. I've seen hers in person, and they look fantastic!
I just love my G.E.A.R seat covers..Love the pockets layout and set up.. For the price, you cannot beat it..

Indeed part of Jeeping is having a soaking wet interior once in a while....I only worry about rust and do check for that regularly. For the rest, I have accepted that a Jeep (I mean a Wrangler) is different..

May be that explains why I still like my F-150..;)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Or you could try IGGEE's, check their website and they make LOTS of different combo's and they're synleather, that is treated and mine are still beading waterproof after 1 year

You don't have to get black

Checkemout !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I know, but you know someone with them will buy seatcovers made for seats without them, and crash and sue me cause the airbags didn't blow up right........

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Neoprene is NOT waterproof. It absorbs and holds water......
:confused:

WATERPROOF NEOPRENE SEAT COVERS FOR JEEPS - JCWhitney

even has a review saying how definitely waterproof they are...
shows what I know ;) learn something every day, thank you!

I recommended the G.E.A.R. because he's military... those lousy clips are on almost everything we own! canteens, E-tool (folding shovel), shades, ammo cases, holsters, pouches in all sorts of shapes and sizes, all with the same clips. I agree that the clips (they're called ALICE clips) aren't all that great, but if you already have 200 Lbs of gear with the clips on it, then the G.E.A.R. covers are a pretty good idea :)

And if you aren't too concerned with looks, you can do what I did... take a poncho, put the hood over the headrest, and tie it on really well, then roll the whole thing up and stuff it into the back of the hood, so it's all bunched up on the headrest... when it rains I just unroll it and cover the seat. Just gotta be careful when you roll it back up, because it will have a small pond in it...

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Airbags, lots of electronics underneath, switches and stuff. All problematic for JK seat covers.

Also, the market is fairly small still. JK seats are, generally speaking, still in good shape. The percentage of people who want to cover them already, just because, is actually really small.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
:cool: Or you could try IGGEE's, check their website and they make LOTS of different combo's and they're synleather, that is treated and mine are still beading waterproof after 1 year

You don't have to get black

Checkemout !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO
Jimbo that looks more like a pic of a ride at SixFlags than a Jeep. LOL.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I've already skinned my '10 JK seat and put in a heater (it was cold... sue me ;) ) and I stole my chainmail seat bottom from my '71 and put it in my '10 JK (it keeps your pants dry when the seat gets rained on...)

I'll put a pic up when I get home ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts