Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of seats from an ebay guy in upstate new york from a 2016. There is rust all over the place on these. I asked him if it was a flood car and he swears it isnt. He said its because of the harsh winter there and mopar not rust coating. Anyone else seen this? How do you fix it?

Attachments

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
A few days ago I looked at mine only because I installed a windstopper. I did not notice any rust at all, but again was not looking specifically for it.

Mine is a New England DD - over 5 years.

The first pic, is that the back, towards the bottom?

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Rust is normal on any untreated steel. Just being exposed to the air will cause rust. What you see here is surface rust and unless constantly exposed to water will take decades to fail if ever.

To treat use a rust convertor. Follow the instruction and things will look pretty again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rust is normal on any untreated steel. Just being exposed to the air will cause rust. What you see here is surface rust and unless constantly exposed to water will take decades to fail if ever.

To treat use a rust convertor. Follow the instruction and things will look pretty again.
I agree but not on seats inside the vehicle. I have worked on many vehicles and not once have I found rust inside. If I had to guess the seats were stored in a damp place I doubt that happened in a vehicle. Just clean them up they will be fine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine are rusted and I haven't done anything to cause it. I figure it's just how they are and aren't too concerned.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
I agree but not on seats inside the vehicle. I have worked on many vehicles and not once have I found rust inside. If I had to guess the seats were stored in a damp place I doubt that happened in a vehicle. Just clean them up they will be fine.
Any bare metal (steel) exposed to the air will rust. Faster in a damp climate, slow in a dry but it will rust. You can't stop it, it is the natural order of things.

Reactions: Fungun

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It would appear that the seat may have been kept either outside uncovered or storage or in a basement or attic where over time these components can rust. But typically if the seat was kept inside the vehicle rust like shown in your images is not common. Unless the vehicle was listed as totaled within a flood zone. Other factors are involved here.

I can't vouch for if the seat can be saved.. because you're just shows a small position of the seat frame area. but a complete tear down would mean being able to access these rusted areas and have then either coats with products like por-15 etc then reassembling the seat after washing the covers etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks pretty normal to me for a rust belt vehicle. I actually chuckled a bit when I opened the pictures because I was expecting them to look a lot worse based on the description. The footwell/under seat area is constantly being exposed to salty slush in the winter time whenever someone gets in the vehicle, and with the vehicle being sealed up against the cold all the time that moisture stays trapped inside.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have any of you guys taken apart these seats? How involved is it?
You cant see the rust and it probably wont affect the seats functionality but me knowing that the rust is there is going to really bother me over time.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
No that is not lots of rust. This is all surface rust and as I said will not be a issue for decades or forever. If you are set on treating it use a chemical remover or converter then prime and paint.

Sand blasting may not remove all the rust and powder coating will hide the growth of new rust.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Once rust starts, there's no stopping.. So products that claim they can stop or eat rust away might work for a short time.. But isn't a cure. In my opinion, you've been had/taken to the cleaners and left to rust on the line.

On the bright side, you've showcase the images just so others don't make the same mistake.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It's surface rust. If you're one of those guys who gets a new car every 50 years, you have nothing to worry about. If you like to keep them for a century or more, it might be a problem and you should treat them.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Any bare metal (steel) exposed to the air will rust. Faster in a damp climate, slow in a dry but it will rust. You can't stop it, it is the natural order of things.

Exactly, and living near the ocean or in humid places will speed it up. Some vehicles are painted better than others and that will slow rust down or stop it. Others not so good and there can be problems.

OP if you're worried remove the seats and treat the rusted areas. I'd remove it, prime it with a rust inhibiting primer and paint it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts