Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - dumb question, but does anyone know if the seatbelt retractors are the same in the front and the rear? My passenger side retractor needs to be replaced and the dealer wants to charge me $$$ thought about temporarily moving the back one up front...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seatbelt issue is a safety concern. I'd raise hell with the dealership. Sounds like they are Turing to take advantage of a female.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Seat belt malfunctions are covered under the 3/36 warranty. JK seatbelts don't fully retract on their own after they're unbuckled, you have to help them along. Most vehicle seat belt systems are like that now. If that's what you're experiencing that's actually normal. If it won't retract at all or if it's very difficult then it has to be replaced. Front and rear belts are different.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seatbelt issue is a safety concern. I'd raise hell with the dealership. Sounds like they are Turing to take advantage of a female.
Okay- they are replacing the front seatbelt n/c but the dog chewed the belt on the rear one and they quoted me 350 to replace it. Wtf. They had to order a retractor- didn't have one in stock. Seems odd to me...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seat belt malfunctions are covered under the 3/36 warranty. JK seatbelts don't fully retract on their own after they're unbuckled, you have to help them along. Most vehicle seat belt systems are like that now. If that's what you're experiencing that's actually normal. If it won't retract at all or if it's very difficult then it has to be replaced. Front and rear belts are different.
Thanks for the info. They are covering it now I have to figure out if I can just replace the belt on the rear as opposed to replacing the whole unit. Pain in the a$$

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are some companies out there who can repair seat belts. I have not used them so I don't have any first hand experience but you can do a quick search and find people who will. Basically you send the seat belt to these guys and they repair them for about $60-70 and then they send them back to you.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'd be very uncomfortable using a rebuilt seatbelt. The repair is expensive but it is literally the most important feature in any vehicle so it isn't a place to cut corners IMO.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be very uncomfortable using a rebuilt seatbelt. The repair is expensive but it is literally the most important feature in any vehicle so it isn't a place to cut corners IMO.
I know- you're so right. Exactly what my hubby said :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are some companies out there who can repair seat belts. I have not used them so I don't have any first hand experience but you can do a quick search and find people who will. Basically you send the seat belt to these guys and they repair them for about $60-70 and then they send them back to you.
Thanks. I'm gonna have to bite the damn bullet on this one. Ouch!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Look online for jeep junk yards. There are two I know of in socal in sun valley off Branford ave. one place chargers way too much but you can haggle them. May want to look them up online

1 - 11 of 11 Posts