Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new 2017 JK, but noticed something odd the other day when I removed the rear seats: looking at the front seats via an unobstructed view from the back, the seats, especially the driver's seat, looked crooked.

I took a good look at the seat's railings and how they were positioned, and yep--they sure look off-center to me.

The pictures should explain everything: on the left side the railing matches up to its foundation perfectly, but on the right the railing veers off towards the center console, and is at permanent rest. The same principle applies to the passenger seat: crooked and veering towards the center console, but fine on the side near the door.

Is this normal? Before I sound like a lunatic complaining a seat is crooked to the dealer, I thought I'd get some input from other JK owners. I know jack about design specifications, but it doesn't seem something should be lining up that badly. Are your seats like this, too? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't care for the carpet getting hung up on the driver seat (console side) each time I slide the seat forward. But it runs back and forth naturally.
ai placed some pipe foam down between the seat cushions and the console to help prevent losing items that might get dropped there.

I lost my whole ring for about 15 mins after dropping them there and having to fish them from under the carpet and the seat rail.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah... normal, but another example of poor workmanship on Chrysler's part -- just like the plastic surrounding the factory radios that tends to bulge outwards due to lack of fasteners placed in appropriate spots behind it.

I really get irritated that the passenger front seat on mine tends to pull the carpet loose from where it stuffs under the shifter on the transmission hump. But the dealership won't do anything about it. They just say, "Normal for a vehicle like a Jeep where the carpet is designed to be removed if you want to...."

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've removed the front seats to install a lockbox and bypass the seatbelt warning light on the drivers side. The tub/body is threaded, but there is a little bit of wiggle room if you loosen the 4 seat bolts. If it really bothers you, you could slightly enlarge the seat frame holes and install a black washer to get a lot more adjustment room. You almost need a 1/2" breaker bar or impact (18mm socket IIRC) as seat bolts are always difficult to remove.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Of course I had to go out and check my seats after reading this post. Both seats are mounted straight (whew). Must have been a good day at the factory when my 2016 Willys was built.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Of course I had to go out and check my seats after reading this post. Both seats are mounted straight (whew). Must have been a good day at the factory when my 2016 Willys was built.
I did the same thing!!! With the same result, 2017 Willys here. Must be a Willy's design improvement :beerdrinking::beerdrinking::beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I took it into service and they agreed: seat definitely is crooked and leaning to one side. Appointment is next week to see what they can do. Kinda thought I was a nut to go in and complain about this but hey, I bought the Jeep new and paid a lot of $$$ -- and sorta figure a seat shouldn't be leaning to one side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've removed the front seats to install a lockbox and bypass the seatbelt warning light on the drivers side. The tub/body is threaded, but there is a little bit of wiggle room if you loosen the 4 seat bolts. If it really bothers you, you could slightly enlarge the seat frame holes and install a black washer to get a lot more adjustment room. You almost need a 1/2" breaker bar or impact (18mm socket IIRC) as seat bolts are always difficult to remove.
Also removed the driver seat to get a lockbox installed. When I got things bolted, I noticed the seat facing leftward pretty bad. Tried hard moving the seat around in that wiggle room, hoping to get it back to normal, and then questioning my sanity if it was always like that. Noticed slight indents in the seat base where the washers had previously been set. Had to push in on the seat frame itself on the front portion, squeezing the sides together, and bolting down at the same time to get the washers and bolts to sit where it was from factory. Got the seat back to straight. Not sure if tolerances are pretty loose on these seats, and they squeeze things to straight at the factory or what :banghead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts